Another Easy to make Pipe (bamboo)

Discussion in 'Show Your Piece' started by PLyTheMan, Mar 11, 2005.

1. PLyTheMan

PLyTheMan Senior Member

Okay, my friend and I just made this tonight and it kicks ass. A little bit more work than the simple soda bottle bong but its mighty nice to take some big hits from, and it looks half decent too!

==Bamboo Steamroller==

__Supplies__
    (1) Bamboo - Sold at most craft stores, maybe even Wal Mart from what I hear. The one I got was about six feet high for five bucks.
    (2) Bowl - We used the metal cone bowl off a $2 slide for a *ahem* tobbacco water pipe...
    (3) All Purpose Sealent/Glue.
    (4) Hack Saw or other saw to cut bamboo, powerdrill with appropriate bit, hammer and chisel/screwdriver

__Steps__
    (1) Cut Bamboo rod into desired length. Ours is maybe a foot. At each of the little joints in the bamboo, theres actualy a bark like wall. We cut ours so the wall was in the middle and just stuck a long flat head screwdriver down the tube and hammered a hole into the wall, thus making two chambers.
    (2) Next we drilled a hole into the bamboo on one side of the wall and fit the bowl in place.
    (3) We lined the hole with sealant and stuck the bowl in, then put more sealant around the edges of the hole where it met the bowl, then cleaned up some excess.
    (4) Sand down the two ends and make sure the insides are free from sawdust. It almost tastes better than sucking in ash...

__Notes__
    (1) The Chambers - We have two chambers in ours with a small hole connecting them. It works well for us but you can try a different set up.
    (2) We used some "J-B Kwik Weld" for ours. It says its resistant up to 300 F so we picked that. [ http://jbweld.net/products/jbkwik.php ] Our only concern with it is inhaling vapors. When we first set it I could taste it but we smoked a bowl anyway and didn't notice it anymore. Its possible that once it drys its vaporless and safe, so lets hope. Any other suggestions?

__Pictures__
    [​IMG]
    Note chamber wall in the middle...
    [​IMG]
    Bit Blurred...
    [​IMG]
    Brak Approves, as does Guyute!

So All in All, it was a bit of work but well worth it because we took some huge ass hits! =D

2. bigT

bigT Member

the first time I got high was with a pipe like that of my friends, except he cut a hole and put aluminum foil there.

3. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

Believe it or not I have what i believe to be the only living patch of Bamboo in western PA, so ofcourse i've learned how to build a bong out of them at one point or another.

Your steps are pretty good, i'd like to add though that there is a paper-like filament on the inside of the hallow shoot that you will need to remove, it is very flammable. Use bamboo that is already aged golden so you pipe won't look like shit when it dries out, that and make sure to use only one segment of the shoot. At each of the joints on the shaft their is a sealed up part.

Wash the wood out really nicely too, or else the first coupla times you use it it will taste like total shit.

I almost forgot! If you don't want to use glue, all you need to do is drill a hole big enough to barely fit a ratchet. once you have the ratchet or preffered bowl head loosely in the hole, bang the pipe bowl down off of something hard, the ratchet will form an air tight hole. It takes some practice, but once you get the hang of it it's easy as shit.