Anne Frank?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Penny, May 23, 2004.

1. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I'd like to have your thoughts on her world-wide famous diary as well as her tales (if you got the chance to read them).

Her diary is such a big source of information on world-war II, and the horrible way the Nazis treated the Jews... but also how Anne and her family and family's friends had to hide and the conditions of their lives... that book is so eye-opening, it's extremely interesting but also very depressing... I absolutely hate the end, how it was so close to be over and they still got caught, I find it to be so unfair and revolting... after reading the story of those people it's very shocking, even though you kind of expect it.

But her diary is not only that, it's also the story a young teenager growing up, her thoughts on this world and its people, her feelings about life, love, family, friendship... it's very touching.

She was very mature for her age (13-15) and understood many things that most people that age didn't... she was even more mature than the adults around her for many things, but still was a child somewhere, and needed to mature a bit for a few things...

She had a talent for writing, and her diary was very important to her. She was hoping that it would be found after the war and released.

2. mick_jagger_is_so_hi

mick_jagger_is_so_hi Member

I am always amazed by Annes maturity and depth of character everytime I read her diary. She had a real talent for writing, and although you can tell she was no angel, theres a real sweetness I pick up about her from her words.
    Such a waste. :(

3. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

The diary was amazing, very well written for someone so young. I may well have read the tales but can't remember.

It was such a terrible waste, but in a way that adds to the potency of her message.

TTFN

Sage

4. Smudge

Smudge Member

If you 'liked' that book, I recommend 'The Hiding Place' by Corrie-Ten-Boom, who was Dutch.

She and her family made a hiding place, a false room, in their house where they hid Jewish people (they were not Jews, but Christians).

They were all caught eventually and sent to concentration camps, where all died :( except Corrie- she survived and wrote that book (and more).

It was made into a film too, which can be got on video (from International films I think).

She died, eventually, in the 1980's at 80 or 90 something, having travelled all round the world telling her story of forgiveness. Really amazing and of course you need tissues when reading.