Animal, Vegetable, Miracle- Kingsolver

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction Books' started by drumminmama, May 31, 2008.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I'm reading this currently, after getting a short excerpt in a magazine.
    Kingsolver is an established writer (usually fiction) who migrated to Tuscon, raised two girls, and decided to return to rural roots as an experiment in a year of eating local food.

She wrote this well. So far there's been a detour that makes me wonder if she's read Nourishing Traditions (it's a pretty defensive, not well thought out tirade against vegetarians...and of course, she's an ex-veg), but overall she's even headed with her opinions.

anyone else read this? thoughts?
    Does it make you want to pick up an old farmstead yourself?

2. CelticMuse

CelticMuse Member

I just bought the book a few days ago. I'm off work this week so I was going to start it tonight. When I'm thru I'll let you know what I think.

3. CelticMuse

CelticMuse Member

Well after many starts and stops,and the usual family crisis, I finally got to read the book.
    I agree it was very well written and I liked her daughters added comments as well.
    I really enjoyed the book, and actally just lent it to my sister.
    I've not read Nourishing Traditions, so maybe I'll go to the library and see if they have it.
    As far as wanting to eat locally, I do live on a very small farm in the country and with the exception of the meat I buy for my husband I do eat locally,buying from farmers markets. I do have to admit though I do have to buy olive oil,organic flour and the occasional diet coke from the grocers.