Angry Omnis....

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by shutterfly, May 10, 2004.

1. shutterfly

shutterfly Member

I have noticed that often times when an omni finds out I'm vegan they get SUPER defensive and often downright angry about it, preaching to me about how it's our inherent right to eat meat ( we've been doing it for thousands of years.. why stop now? ) and how God put them here specifically for our use and consumption and all that crap. I even had one person tell me she couldn't stand vegans, that they get on her nerves. What I wanna know is why are so many so fucking pissed? And why do they believe in the false illusion that vegans and vegetarians are incredibly unhealthy and weak and ailing? I and every other veghead I know feel very healthy and happy and strong because of our diets, quite the contrary to their beliefs. Is there anyone out there who can help me out with this query?

2. minjeig

minjeig Member

i agree with astro, i think they're just feeling guilty. i've seen omnis get all angry with veg*ns more than veg*ns get angry at omnis so i don't even understand their need to get so defensive.

3. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Spot fucking on. There's no moral defence for chomping flesh (outside the bedroom!), so meat-eaters tend to get a bit touchy when put on the spot. On the bright side, this is sometimes followed by a dramatic reversal of position once they realise that they can't go on partaking in something that they can't justify, and the next thing y'know, they're veggie. A lot of us started out in a similar way, after all.

4. neckienoo

neckienoo Member

It's funny, I posted something similar on the old hip forums! Some people are just curious about the whole veggie way and that's cool; they usually want to hear all about it! Others are really defensive and judgemental! When people make those incredibly ignorant comments about how, " the animals were put on this earth so we could eat them," I just tell them, " This is what I feel comfortable doing, everyone should do what's best for them." People that tend to make those comments seem close minded and therefore not open to hearing about all of the important reasons I am a veggie-girl; therefore, I don't bother sharing those reasons with them. As for someone "hating vegans" that sounds stupid! I would have to ask that person if they really think it's fair to judge someone because that person doesn't eat animals!

5. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

I 'm not veg but I was trying to explain it to a neighbor a while back how it is possible to have a healthy diet as a veg and he got really mouthy with me too. I sent him out of my house eventualy. Why are people so closed minded.

6. Megara

Megara Banned

because they are tied of vegans and vegitarians preaching how their lifestyle is better? Seriously, a lot of vegans and vegitarians feel the need to comment on people eating meat or stare at you like you're a monster. Live and let live, that goes for omnis and vegans/vegi's

7. Megara

Megara Banned

huh?

are you comparing omnis to cannibals?

8. Megara

Megara Banned

and to that, i say you have been socially conditioned to see that the vegan lifestyle is "more natural" than omnis. Sorry, but human history says otherwise.

9. kayatree

kayatree Member

Oh yeah... it's one of her favorites. :)

I think you're right... a lot of omni's do get upset about vegetarianism. And probably for a lot of the reasons other people responded with. Generalizing, however, will get you no where, fast. Not all omni's do anything... just like not all vegetarians/vegans do anything.

People eat meat for lot's of reasons (and yeah, a lot of people are simply ignorant to the repercussions of meat consumption) - just because they don't hold the same beliefs that a vegetarian does, doesn't make it right or wrong - because no one knows what really is right or wrong.

Most of my omnivorous friends don't need to justify themselves, because I don't really care what they eat. I make decisions for myself - not them. I also happen to know some pretty self-righteous vegetarians and vegans... and sometimes they really get to me. Saying "no" to any type of food is a luxury that a lot of people in the world can't afford to do... it's a privilege that should not be taken lightly, and certainly not be used to gain leverage over another faith.

When someone yells "free food in the woods!", I don't ask what... I hold out my bowl.

with love,

kayatree

10. Megara

Megara Banned

like i said from the start....neither veganism, vegitarianism or omniverious lifetyles are "more natural" or better.....what i said, and what you took so far out of context to begin was exactly this: LET PEOPLE EAT WHAT THEY WANT....why do you care if they eat meat? and please, stop with the cannibalism link, its really, just sad

11. Enron

Enron Member

Without looking at human history and only modern meats you might get away with the argument if you only ate organic meat. While vegetables get sprayed with chemicals the animals eat those crops and it stays in their system, so cutting out the middle man (meat) protects you from alot of excess chemicals.

I think you can eat what you want, I used to be an omni and wouldnt have payed any attention to veg*ns that said otherwise. Heres the thing, I DO NOT respect people that eat meat, i find it horribly immoral. Maybe i do get a little high and mighty, but I cant see someone that eats animals as an equal. I suppose the same rule would apply if you ate humans.
    Heres my thinking,
    Omnivores=Murderers
    Veg*ns=Not so much
    Im very sorry if this offends anyone

12. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

astro,

i agree with you on your points in this thread.

13. TreePhiend

TreePhiend Member

Astro you kick ass, I picked this qoute from all the others in this thread because I think it is truly among your finest work.

14. DoktorAtomik

I agree with Astro entirely. Kill one species and eat it and it's evil, kill another species and eat it and it's a valid dietary choice. Morally, that's not very solid ground to be standing on.

This whole "you should let people eat what they want" argument is a pile of crap. It implies that meat-eating exists in a moral vacuum where the only living creature affected by your actions is yourself. This is patently untrue. You may choose to disagree with the moral argument behind vegetarianism, but to attempt to deny people the right to an opinion is ridiculous.

I do believe that meat-eating is absolutely morally disgusting, but I also accept that some vegetarians are too preachy about the issue. Frankly, if I thought preaching would save the life of one more animal, then I'd be all for it. But I think it's counterproductive in many instances. I've found that I 'convert' more people to vegetarianism by waiting for them to ask me about it rather than trying to evangelise them.

I also don't judge people for eating meat. We live in a society where it's considered a normal and entirely ethical practice, and so it's to be expected that most people won't have even thought about the issues surrounding it. Like any lifestyle, it also has an inherent level of addiction, and so it's naive to expect people to just throw down their burgers as soon as they see the error of their ways. This doesn't stop it being a distasteful of reprehensible practice though - it's just an acceptance of the unpleasant reality of the situation.

Kaya - how about stopping the ickkle jibes at Astro, huh? Be nice to have a fresh start in the new forum, and she's playing nice at the moment. You mightn't agree with the cannibalism comparison, but it's a valid opinion. Let's all try and get along?

15. Megara

Megara Banned

wow, i am absolutely disgusted by how you all hold omnis in such contempt. Seriously. Millions of animals die every year in the production of vegetables..and we're the immoral ones? We are eating what we kill! You are destroying life and letting it rot. But i am the immoral one?

Stop trying to justify your *alternative lifetyle*, yes that is what it is, and pushing your views on me and others. Seriously, eat your beans and leave meat eaters alone. Its sickening that you feel the need to put down omnis in the way that you do, inferiority complex it seems.

16. DoktorAtomik

This is fairly typical of the lengths to which meat-eaters need to go in order to justify their lifestyle. There's no such thing as a 'perfect' moral existence. Veggies mostly recognise this. It's not about attempting to be perfect, it's about trying to inflict as little suffering as possible on the world.

So you seriously think more animals die to provide a bowl of beans and rice than die to provide a chicken curry and rice? Interesting.

That's a stunning bit of logic! You choose to come to a veggie forum preaching about how it's ok to eat meat, and yet it's us who are trying to tell you how to live your life? Genius.

Well if you don't like it, what are you doing here? Don't slam the door on your way out.

Finally we agree on something! Yes, I can see how an inferiority complex would induce you to come here in a juvenile attempt to justify your lifestyle by insulting veggies.

17. Megara

Megara Banned

Let me start off by saying you really, REALLY need to work on your reading comprehension.

So what you're saying is. Veggies kill animals. Omnis Kill Thing. But only omnis are immoral because they eat what they kill? That because we do it in higher quantities we are the immoral ones? Bub, you can grow your own farm without the use of turbines and you wont kill animals. So dont preach.

2) where did i say anything of the sort that it required more killing of animals to provide beans and whatever than chicken? Like i said earlier, reading comprehension isnt your forte.

3) If you have actually READ my posts, i didnt put down veggies/vegans. Only those with the holier than thou mentality. I dont care what you eat honestly. Dont preach to me that i am immoral because you need to justify your lifestyle. Eat what you want and keep your mouth shut. Its not hard. THe same goes to any omnis who hassle veggies/vegans because they are veggies/vegans.

I have NOT insulted veggies/vegans. I have, however, attacked those who seek to attack my lifestyle. Seriously, why is it so hard for you to live and let live? And i came to this forum because i was interested in it...do i need a freaking reason? And i NEVER came here trying to force my lifestyle on anyone. I dont care what you eat, its your life to live

18. DoktorAtomik

Or alternatively, you need to work on your self-expression.

Look, it's really not that complicated an argument. It's desirable to lead your life in such a way as to minimise suffering. You're saying that because there's a chance of a field mouse being caught up in a combine harvester that somehow eating vegetables is worse than raising animals for slaughter? Dude, that argument's facile.

Whereas personal abuse is obviously your forte. If you're now saying that I'm correct in this regard, then clearly vegetarianism is the more ethical lifestyle.

Indeed. But you've since moved on to generalisations.

Then fine. Why are you here?

Ummm..... you're the one that came to a veggie forum, dude. If you want me to keep my mouth shut, then do me the same courtesy. Can't you see a tad of hypocrisy here?

Again, why are you posting here then? None of us attacked your lifestyle until you cam here preaching about it.

It isn't. But you're patently not doing the same. You're killing to live. I'm not a veggie that attacks meat-eaters. But you can't come to a veggie forum attempting to justify eating meat, and not expect people to explain the rationale of vegetarianism to you. If you don't want to here it, then be somewhere else!

19. Megara

Megara Banned

Have you actually READ this post? Did youl actually SEE what i was responding too? If you dont see that the omni lifestyle was attacked first...then like i said, your reading comprehension doesnt allow us to continue any further.

The only difference between you and me, is that i eat what is killed and dont try to justify my slaughter. You have options to cut down on the slaughter, and you choose not too. Maybe if you grew your own farm and made sure that animals werent killed. Maybe, just maybe i could respect your decision a bit more. But as it stands. You Kill animals to survive. I kill animals to survive.

20. DoktorAtomik

But dude.... you've come to a veggie forum, where people are bound to express how they feel about the subject. It's not as though we are coming to you and forcing our opinions on you. You have chosen to come to a veggie forum and read our opinions. That's an entirely different thing. Would you go to a gay bar and complain that people were being openly gay?

See above. This is a veggie forum. People obviously feel strongly about the issue, or they wouldn't be veggie. If you don't want to see these opinions, then go hang in another forum. I promise not to follow you and force my opinions on you!

What the fuck?!? So I spend 17 years as a veggie, and I'm not cutting down on slaughter? That's just not rational.

So I'd have to grow up in a concentration camp in order to oppose genocide?

This is ridiculous. What part of this argument aren't you understanding? I choose not to partake in the flesh of dead animals because I have no desire to have creatures killed just in order to satisfy my personal tastes. I reduce the amount of suffering in my diet as far as I am able. In an ideal world, I agree that it would be preferable to eat only home-grown produce. But that's not an argument for opting out of doing everything possible to eliminate exploitation of living creatures in the meantime.