An actual question about love

Discussion in 'Love and Sex' started by raven23, May 30, 2004.

1. raven23

raven23 Member

What do y'all think? At Nationals my fiance and I will be getting married. But I'm Canadian, she's American, I snuck into this country and my driver's licence is expired. We're getting an actual ordained minister (from the Universal Life Church) to perform the ceremony. But we won't be getting an actual county licence, yet. Do you think we need to. Our parents, strict Babylonians, are coming for the ceremony, but they dont know it's not 'licenced'. Do you think it really matters?

2. raven23

raven23 Member

And we're serious. We're old enough to know what we have when we have it. It is a 'real' marriage for us in every other sense of the word.

3. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

well then thats all that should matter, paper or no paper you still plan on committing your life to her. Congrats and good luck! :)

4. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

As far as love goes, it doesn't matter. My husband and I aren't "married with papers." As far as you being able to live here legally, I don't know how that would work. Good luck and congratulations!

5. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

The main way it may matter is if you ever want to use the time you've been married to speed up your legal residency (which sounds bad, like you're using the marriage, sorry, I'm too tired to word that any better :eek:).

As far as your parents go, do they have some issue with sex and/or living together before marriage? If not, why should they care whether the wedding is not legally official (especially when you consider it official in every other way)? After all, plenty of Babylonians live together before they are officially married. If so, well, they apparently are dealing OK with the Rainbow thing, since they're coming to the Nationals, you'll just have to discuss your choices with them, tell them why you feel comfortable making those choices, & remind them that you are of legal age to make those decisions for yourselves (preferably before the wedding so that they don't get pissed off when they find out later).

If this is the only ceremony you're planning, would they really not come just because you don't have the official legal paperwork?

6. raven23

raven23 Member

I don't think they'd not come. Anyway, we've been talking about it, and decided we don't need some county clerks permission to commit our lives to each other. You're right, the only reason we'll need it is for one of us to get citizenship in whatever country we end up in.

7. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Only one person has to be a resident in order for you to get legally married..you will need some sort of real id though (birth cert might do).

8. Spinner

Spinner Member

I wish I could give you some advice but I can't.
    People hate me and I hate myself!
    :( :mad:

9. raven23

raven23 Member

Things aren't going to get any better for you with that attitude, sorry to tell you. You need to be real careful about what you manifest, unless you want people to hate you.