American sports?

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Spacer, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

Why are they all so crap? I mean American football and baseball are brutal, and why do they have a world series when it's only American teams in it?? The only sport from that side of the Atlantic that's any good is Ice Hockey and that's because they have fights in it. Can anyone explain the appeal to me? Also would I be right in saying America is one of the few countries where soccer isn't a big sport? In Europe it's massive as it also is all over South America & Africa aswell.

2. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

soccer is a huge sport for kids to play...its just not big on a professional level. I'm only a casual watcher of american football, Hockey is my sport.

I'm not sure sports are any better anywhere else though...I don't like watching football (soccer) either.

3. Spacer

:eek: Don't tell any of your Catalunyan friends in Barcelona!! ;) Soccer is everything in Europe, there's all the leagues in the seperate countries and then the Champions league which is all of the best European teams, Barcelona are one of the favourites to win that this year as well as the Spanish league (La Liga). I watch a good bit of soccer and do go to Irelands international matches as often as possible, went to see them against Brazil in a friendly awhile back but haven't been at a match since.

4. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Baseball is brutal?...

I wish... might livin it up.

Soccer's *fotball* ok... and basketballs great. I'm not that big on football...

I'd like to like boxing... but it can be pretty dull.

And of course, I love MMA... love it.

5. thehipsterdufus

thehipsterdufus Member

Soccer bores the hell out of me...........I'd rather watch curling.

Simply because a non-American does not like some 'American' sports does not make them crap. That's just an opinion.

I do watch Australian rules football some, and catch the rarely-televised cricket game, but I still LOVE 'American' sports, for the mere reason of that's what I've grown up with, and also what I played growing up.

6. Spacer

Cricket!! :eek: Good god, that has to be the worst sport of all time! It's big in the UK and a lot of ex british colonies but it never took off in Ireland thanks be to god.

Yes it is, my opinion! :)

7. PhluffHead 4

PhluffHead 4 Member

American Sports are crap? explain this to me. We have football, basketball, baseball and golf which are all great sports. What does Ireland have...soccer? I can't think of a sport more boring than soccer, I'd even rather watch or play golf.

8. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Hmm... once, a drunk guy wearing a cowboy hat accidently hit me in the balls with a bowling ball when he almost fell over and missed and threw the ball at my lane while I was about to bowl.

That was kinda cool :D but it hurt... haha, he payed for my games thought :eek: He was like "Here's 20 dollars!"... :p

9. thehipsterdufus

thehipsterdufus Member

HAHA! What are the chances of that happening anywhere but the 'States?

Pretty slim, I think.

American sports ROCK! hehe :p

10. Orsino2

Yeah... it was cool, because he kept line dancing to stuff like travis tritt and he had these dorkish buddy holly glasses :D lmfao.. he was even wearing leather fringe gloves when he walked in and was wearing sweats... he had sweatpants tucked into his cowboy boots. :D The funny thing is, I knew who the guy was. He repairs bows and used to live across from our farm.

11. USNavyDeadHead

USNavyDeadHead Member

I can't believe nobody has mentioned March MAdness yet! Am I the only fan of College Basketball here? 65 teams in a knock down drag out winner move on loser go home tournament. I live for it. Of course I'm from Southern Indiana where you learn to shoot a jump shot before you can lace up your shoes. There is no game like college hoops. Fast paced, emotional and unlike the good for nothing NBA they actually play defense.

12. thehipsterdufus

thehipsterdufus Member

you are NOT alone![​IMG]

March Madness is frickin incredible! Not nearly the amount of bullshit politics that are present in college football.

the tournament is the pinnacle of the sports year, IMO. if there's ever any early rounds in Denver, I go, no matter who is playing.

13. USNavyDeadHead

USNavyDeadHead Member

Im with you there. When I'm home(which is rare now) they usually have games in Indy, Lexington or Louisville. I dont care who's playing but Id rather by watching Louisville. GO CARDS!

14. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

March Madness is awesome...

I love baseball, but the MLB is just... crap. The NBA is my favorite sport to watch but so many of the players are so fuckin' whiny, etc etc... except for Kobe and LeBron :sunglasse

Football's quite cool, but I hardly watch it anymore... I made a $50 bet with a kid in my woodshop class last year, that if Vick stays healthy all of next season (which was this season), Falcons would win the super bowl. Look at 'em now.. :D
    I mean, who the fuck coulda predicted that...

But now, the only sport I'm interested in is European football... haha isnt that ironic.. David Beckham rules, I've got a giant poster of him in my room :D

15. spooner

spooner is done.

hockey is by far the greatest sport on earth, bar none.

16. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

I LOVE baseball, that's all I gotta say.

17. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Baseball is probebly the dullest sport to watch in the world next to golf and american football.

Futbòl (soccer) is wonderful, so are tennis and basketball.

18. Orsino2

Hockey...

oh... and John McEnroe. Hell, "John McEnroe" should be a sport. Screw the williams sisters. :D

19. Spacer

American footbal and baseball are crap and gold is just uber boring. Basketball is watchable. Most Americans don't like the beautiful game (soccer) becuase they can't stand the thought of a 90 minute game ending with no score, they haven't got the attention span for it. In Ireland we also have Gaelic football and hurling. Golf is very big aswell, but as we've already established golf sucks balls.