American heart asociations official stand on Atkins

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Pablo, May 16, 2004.

1. Pablo

Pablo Member

This is the american heart associations official stand on the atkins diet

The American Heart Association (AHA) does not recommend high-protein diets for weight loss. They argue that the Atkins diet has not been proven effective for long term weight loss. They are critical of the Atkins diet’s focus on a high-protein diet that emphasises foods like meat and eggs that are rich in protein and/or saturated fats. The diet is not recommended because it restricts healthy foods that provide essential nutrients. They also criticise the Atkins plan for its high cholesterol, fat and protein content and its low-fibre intake. The AHA asserts that most people already eat more protein and fat than their bodies need, and eating a high-protein, high-fat diet raises the risk of many types of disease. The most serious claim against the Atkins plan is that it’s linked to a number of potential health risks such as osteoporosis, stroke, coronary heart disease, a propensity to form kidney stones, liver disorders and diabetes.

Hmm could it be that eating a butt load of cholestorol and no fibre or anything that helps clear it out could be bad for your heart? It just seems like people are getting dumber and dumber, theres so many problems in the world because of meat and they are getting worse, water shortages are hapening in more regions, cows spreading diseases is becoming more comon and heart disease and colon cancer are increasing, yet for some reason the fad is a diet with more meat. Its just as backward as people buying more large vehicles in these times, but thats another topic...its just, do people even realise that they are part of the world, that its real? that the things they do really will efect it? i know im not perfect by any means but some people dont even try, they even seem to make a point of not trying, or doing the oposite of what they should be doing.

2. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

I totally agree.

TTFN

Sage

3. TreePhiend

TreePhiend Member

People are obviously getting more and more brainwashed and increasingly self centered. I really dislike the choices so many people make that all add up to a huge problem.

4. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

it's just sickening.

every where you go you see these "atkin friendly" signs...

WAAAY more then you see veggie. friendly signs.

people are idiots.

they want quick fixes and dont wanna own up to the fact that EXCERCIZE AND A HEALTHY BALANCE DIET WORK.

errr, whatev to all them.

5. Pablo

Pablo Member

Yeh since i became a vegan, and started taking walks and lifting weights i stabily lost about 2 lbs a week, and now im not overweight anymore and my weight remains the same, but it didnt happen in 2 weeks. It took about 6 months to get down to my proper weight. But its totaly stable.
    A friend of mine whos been on atkins said "yeh it works great, a year ago when i got on it i lost 27 lbs" well that may be true but hes got fatter again since then. Destroying you metabolism can only cause so much emergency weight loss. People have to accept that though there may be dumb ways to get rich, or get awards, theres no short cuts to the things that really matter, like love and health.
    Its seems logical to assume a person will be healthy if they live the way we were desighned to. We couldent have evolved eating that much meat, when there were only 10,000 people if they ate meat like that when it was long before we mass produced and killed cattle theyd have wiped out all the edible animals there were.