ambigrams

Discussion in 'Art' started by fi_J, May 27, 2004.

1. fi_J

fi_J Member

has anyone seen these before? it's where a word reads the same (or completely different) when you rotate it (usually 180 degrees).

a friend introduced them to me last weekend... the best example being the "symbiotogram" by john langdon.

kevin pease has some fascinating creations, too. check out seasons and elements for some challenging 4-way reading!

and of course, find inspiration in the ambigram.matic!

ambigram faq

one of my first attempts... almost readable!
    http://hipforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1493&stc=1

i started with the ambigram.matic, then played around with a brush pen in my sketchbook. took a photo, and duplicated the image in photoshop. bonus points to anyone who can read it!

anyone else care to try? :D it really challenges your spatial perception. :confused:

2. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I don't get it... :(

3. fi_J

fi_J Member

hmm yes... that's the problem... ambigrams can be a bit ambiguous.

my little scribble is supposed to read fi's Pad... in celebration of my new home. (small apartment downtown... is growing into something mellow and groovy. lol!) you have to allow for some artistic license in the calligraphy... and it reads the same upside down... y'see?

4. Naren

Naren Member

I've never heard of this kind of art before... it's so cool!!:eek:

5. ArtistofPeace

ArtistofPeace Senior Member

Wow, I've never heard of this either! It's such a cool concept! Now I'm going to try to do an ambigram myself...haha. It's funny how Dan Brown was mentioned on the site, how the term "Angels & Demons" can be done...'cause I actually just started a Dan Brown book today (The DaVinci Code). I'll have to check out Angels & Demons next! :)