Amanda Todd Suicide, Its Effects On Internet Culture

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by DrummingJoey, Oct 14, 2012.

1. RichellieXO

RichellieXO Member

I am not the one saying she had it coming. No one deserves to die.
    But either point if she was a liar(stretched the truth) or it was the truth
    No one deserves to be bullied to where they feel like dying. and no one deserves to be called a slut. Which i never did.

2. odonII

odonII O

I'm not arguing with you about what you may or may not have said or inferred. I was looking around to see where the thing about her having sex (at 13) may have come from. I found that. The last sentence was me trying to lighten the tone.

3. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

Where were the parents through this whole thing. I believe KarenJ is the only other poster to bring this up. As the parent of an adult daughter I can say when she was 13-18 I monitored everything netwise. So the parents took up their roots and moved to a different town, why did they let her have internet access again? Sorry but the parents take the brunt of the responsibility here.

4. RichellieXO

RichellieXO Member

As a teenager i can state that a lot of parents think that when we become teenagers they are done with there job and expect us to do all good on our own. And i don't understand why they didn't get her treatment if she was so depressed.

5. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

When they become teenagers thats when the job really starts.

6. windy

windy Member

Vigils will be held worldwide for Amanda tonight. Shall we all light a candle in her memory? :)

7. windy

windy Member

I heard somewhere that bullying is punished by public caning in China. Not that I think we should start caning people, but at least they are dealing with it.

8. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

you are not going by the actual facts of the case...she spent time in the hospital and was taking anti depressants AND was seeing a counselor...

also this from wikipedia

Todd's suicide received widespread, international media coverage, many of which including a video link to the YouTube message, and an email address provided by the RCMP appealing for information from the public. Within 24 hours of the appeal, over 400 tips were received.[11] The RCMP also stated their investigation was hindered by the amount of false information in online postings after Todd's death, and scams claiming to raise money for her family

the big part refers to YOU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_of_Amanda_Todd

9. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Like most cyber bullying "cases", it's a giant assault on free speech...

Like the company that fired the guy for making a negative comment.

I mean, free speech is great, until it offends somebody, so just speak freely in ways that everybody agrees with :rolleyel:

10. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

you are defending the trolling and postings around this case that drove this girl to suicide as ''free speech''?

11. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

No, I'm defending the guy who got fired for saying something (i guess something similar to what I'm saying) on the facebook memorial page, with his company saying some gutless shit about zero tolerance.

I'm generally very uneasy with the idea that anything you SAY on the internet is anything other than free speech, unless it is a threat of physical violence.

12. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Telling a totally distraught child that is suffering from depression that she is a slut and would be better off committing suicide, and doing this repeatedly is a "threat of physical violence". It's just a form of physical violence that is carried out by the one abused instead of the abuser.

13. DrummingJoey

DrummingJoey Member

With freedom comes responsibility. When you abuse your responsibilities, there are consequences. I certainly wouldn't hire a grown man who attacked a child suicide victim.

14. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

i gotta agree...dude is a scum and deserves to be fired...i guess saying ''your fired'' is also free speech

15. zepp_head

zepp_head Guest

To the OP, I didn't read through this thread, cuz I'm going through emotional problems as well, but I just wanted to speak up and say that I feel a bit of a failure as well about some views I had as a kid, or growing up, etc. Jimi Hendrix said that the world will not have peace until the power of love outgrows the love of power. Now that I'm older and mentally making more decisions for my own sake, I'm starting to feel disappointed that the world I knew as a teenager growing up is turning out to be so toxic, so corrupted and corruptable.

16. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

This sucks. This is a tragic story that hurts my heart. I don't totally understand why some people cyber bully. Maybe they get a sense of power out of it. Maybe they are desensitized and don't care if they hurt others. The man that harassed her went way beyond bullying and into stalker territory. He made this girls life a living hell. She didn't deserve that. She needed a friend. It seems she has become a sort of icon for online harassment/bullying. Somewhat of a martyr. Hopefully her tragic story gets through to people that are in the same position and depressed and they will seek help before it's too late and hopefully it also gets through to people that are inclined to bullying others! Hopefully her story will make people realize that it's not okay to do and say whatever you want on the internet if it's going to jeopardize someone's mental health and life. The internet is actually real life and has consequences just like life does...