Amal Clooney quits scumbag 'nasty party' !!!

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Vladimir Illich, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Amal Clooney Resigns As UK Special Envoy Over Government Plans To Break International Law
    The human rights lawyer said it was "untenable" for her to urge other states to respect international obligations "while the UK declares that it does not intend to do so".

Human rights lawyer Amal Clooney has resigned as a UK special envoy over the government’s plans to break international law over Brexit.

Clooney – who was appointed as the UK’s special envoy on media freedoms in 2019 – said she was “dismayed” by Boris Johnson’s plans regarding the Internal Markets Bill.

In a letter to foreign secretary Dominic Raab, she said she was “disappointed” to have to resign, having “always been proud of the UK’s reputation as a
    champion of the international legal order, and of the culture of fair play for which it is known”.

“However, very sadly, it has now become untenable for me, as Special Envoy, to urge other states to respect and enforce international obligations while the UK declares that it does not intend to do so itself.”

Amal Clooney has quit as a UK govt envoy pic.twitter.com/XgiEK0C7pW

— Paul Waugh (@paulwaugh) September 18, 2020
    Her resignation follows plans by the government to introduce a law that would allow Johnson the power to override parts of the Brexit agreement with the EU.

Northern Ireland secretary Brandon Lewis admitted in the Commons earlier this month that the bill would break international law in a “specific and limited way”

In her letter to Raab, Clooney condemned government plans to do so, saying it was “lamentable for the UK to be speaking of its intention to violate an international treaty signed by the prime minister less than a year ago”.

The barrister said she had been convinced to resign having spoken to government officials and having received “no assurance that any change of position is imminent”.

Clooney is not the first person to resign over the controversial Internal Markets Bill.

Lord Keen of Elie QC, one of the PM’s most senior law officers, quit on Wednesday, saying in a letter to Johnson that he had found it “increasingly difficult to reconcile what I consider to be my obligations as a Law Officer with your policy intentions”.

[​IMG]
    Leon Neal via Getty Images
    Amal Clooney.
    Related...

2. Varmint

Varmint Member

Clearly, Vlad, I don't understand politics on your side of the pond at all. What parties are she and Johnson, if I may ask?

3. Vladimir Illich

Read the link !!!

4. Varmint

Varmint Member

Yeah, those links don't really tell me anything useful. My knowlege of the brexit situation is limited to the following, based on my perspective:
    The people voted to exit the EU.
    Their government is trying desperately to limit the damage caused by this, if not nullify it altogether.
    Their government tried to negotiate a compromise that doesn't do what their people voted for.
    Their government continues to delay, deflect, and obfuscate regarding this, apparently hoping it will blow over or go away.

What I wonder now is what side of the brexit does Boris stand on...for, or against?
    What side does Amal Clooney stand on....for, or against?

By the way, your new profile pic looks great, man.

5. Vladimir Illich

Its more complicated than that - you need to know where the 'scumbag 'nasty party' are coming from - this needs you to do some research - on the UK (politics) thread go back through all the previous posts I've put there and read the comments I made with the attached articles.