Am I the only one...?

Discussion in 'People' started by aleigh24024, Oct 12, 2013.

1. aleigh24024

aleigh24024 Member

Am I only one who hates mainstream media? I absolutely hate reality TV and mainstream TV shows. I also hate the popular music and the famous people (Kim Kardashian, Snooki, Miley Cyrus, Paris Hilton, Mike "The Situation"). Do any of you feel this way towards the mainstream media, or any aspects of it? Just curious what you all have to say. Thanks : )

1 person likes this.
  2. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

the point of the mainstream is to appeal to as many people as possible, to cater to broad tastes and try to have mass appeal. as a result, many mainstream artefacts can appear to be kind of formulaic, homogenous, and to have the rougher eges smoothed over in order to appeal across the board. 'twas ever thus. the vast majority of people dislike the mainstream media, they prefer stuff that exists towards the fringes of popular culture, the underground or lesser known, more niche sort of stuff. But these people are diverse in their tastes, therefore it is difficult to market stuff specifically at them. the mainstream is so huge not because that's what everyone likes but because it is the comfortable middle ground which sells the best, appealing to different cross sections etc. the middle ground or mainstream is where diverse groups of people overlap in their tastes, it has mass appeal but is arguably less vibrant and interesting because it attempts to appeal to as many as possible at the same time, and therefore cannot risk alienating any member of its audience.

so, to answer your question, no, you aren't the only one. You're in the majority. It's just that the majority is impossible to cater to.

1 person likes this.
  3. Noodle87

Noodle87 Guest

Mainstream is just sad, to me it's just people who are addicted to the fame drug. If you take their fame and popularity away the will begin to withdraw. And to get just a piece of the fame back they will do almost anything. But that fame the get back is short lived, cause people move from on thing to the next so fast it makes so called stars do wilder and more stupider things. EXAMPLE: look at kanye west have you ever noticed when he does one if his dumbass rants he has a album dropping in a couple of weeks, or a interview he wants people to watch. And kim Kardashian im still trying to figure out why she is famous, all she did was make a sextape with brandys brother. Then it kills me how she cried and complained about she dont know how it got out or who put it out. Wgen everybody knows the one who released it gets famous. Even if ray-j released it I dont think I could have made that corny, lame ass, dude famous.

4. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Hate is a Strong word - I just care Less of/for them - one should always make their own way in life and not on the whim that social media indicate should be followed
    = ok as a wind down and (for some) relaxtant of choice but a habit?= Not for me - meThinks

5. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Please write thread titles that mean something.

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't watch television reality shows or ever listen to the radio.
    The only news I see is what people post here and I'm barely ever really interested in that anyway. I think I was near a week late knowing about the japan explosion and only found out when I read bad things about the arctic animals.
    "Not a care in the world"'ain't too far off how I live.

7. Redelmo89

Redelmo89 Guest

Dont bother much with TV. Now and again ill watch films but other than that i stay clear of the telly box. Full of useless reality programs that everyone wants to be apart of, what a way to degrade yourself. I also think most music from the last decade is just utter rubbish, which has been made massively worse since the x factor and pop idol. Ill stick to Bob, Jimi and The beatles :D

8. Mr Kite

Mr Kite Member

Far too many shows featuring people that are famous for being famous. A lot of very cheap and cheesy tv about.

9. Mr Kite

Mr Kite Member

A quality post. Took the words right out of my mouth .

10. Redelmo89

Redelmo89 Guest

Peter Andre, The kardashian's to name 2 made more famous than they where in their 'time'. I dont even know what the kardashians where famous for prior to that terrible program haha. Think its only going to get worse as now weve got TOWIE, That chelsea one and now one about meeting the russians. Seriously i cant for the life of me figure out why people would waste time watching them :S

11. xXKittyxCrusaderXx

xXKittyxCrusaderXx Member

Nope your not the only one i hate how my younger siblings are imitating famous people then feel bad when they don't make the cut. My younger sister tried to off herself over stupid stuff like that. Just cause she has a little fluff grrrr.... damn brainwashing

12. Mr Kite

Mr Kite Member

That damn Essex programme has to be the worst and that's saying something. Awful stuff .

13. Redelmo89

Redelmo89 Guest

Seconded that Mr kite, TV was always going down hill since Big Brother aired but since The only way is essex just seems its gone into freefall

14. Mr Kite

Mr Kite Member

I'm a Celebrity too. Jesus. And Strictly come dancing is even more popular than X Factor. Both truly terrible.

15. Redelmo89

Redelmo89 Guest

I feel like a moaning git ha but the list just goes on and on, i think "Dancing on Ice" is one of the worst ideas for a tv programme ive ever seen

16. Mr Kite

Mr Kite Member

How the hell did I forget that one, ha ha .

17. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

If you read any thread on this forum you will probably figure out that you aren't the only one who hates mainstream media.

I don't know if I "hate" it. I certainly don't partake in it. I don't have a TV, don't read conventional news sources, don't purposefully follow popular music--although I do enjoy some of it.

It certainly serves its purpose, for most of the population. It doesn't really fill my societal created internal vacuum though. I think that is what is does for most.

18. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

All those cookery shows get me down. Also doing up houses and antiques.
    Cheap to make, un-challenging for those who watch. Very tedious if you ever have to sit through any of them.

I don't even have a TV set anymore. I prefer to choose what I watch on youtube etc.

19. morrow

morrow Visitor

All electrical appliances, have off buttons!..stop moaning, and use them! So negative this thread...lighten up..

20. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

I've hated social/popular media for a long time. The only thing that seems tolerable and fun to me is Duck Dynasty, but even they are starting to get bombarded by major magazines and tabloids. Of course, it's not "reality TV" like they want us to believe, a lot of it is probably scripted, but at least it's not the usual non-stop glamor type thing. Miley Cyrus is what gets me. There was talk that her new song talking about "Dancing with molly" and "doing lines in the bathroom" was going to be banned, but then they let her sing it on Saturday Night Live, Jay Leno, The Today Show, Ellen Degeneres... It's ridiculous! All these kids that grew up watching Hannah Montana or whatever show she did are growing up and still following what she does and what she sings about and they'll be the one's growing up partying non-stop, doing drugs, flaunting what they've got and wearing close to nothing just because they turned 18... it makes me sick to see what she's doing and the image she's portraying to the public. Popular social media is STUPID.