Am I the only one who does not want anything to do with cell phones?

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Spectacles, May 1, 2012.

1. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

Yeah, I have some old cell phones that I no longer use and they're not connected to anything, but when you turn them on they give you the option to dial emergency services

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

I always want to call 911 with the dummy phone. "help help Ive fallen in the river" let it float on something ,, sees they find it on the news.. [​IMG]

3. Skooky

Skooky Member

I have one, I rarely use it. when family things come up. it calls and recieves and texts, that's it. a pay as I go so it rarely gets used. I find them annoying, but still useful. Since you can use them for emergency 911 calls pretty much anywhere even if it's not an active phone.

guess the key is, if you own a cel phone don't let it own you.

I agree with the isolation theory. the more technological we become and rely on, seems the more people are isolated and by themselves, calling, texting, online rather than real face to face gatherings and conversation.

~peace

4. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

it's more a question of the user than the technology.

5. walsh

walsh Senior Member

Like hell. Skooky is spot on. Phones change even non-users by their mere presence. Even if you've never seen a cell phone or heard of one, it's likely your life is changed by the technology.

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Lulz :2thumbsup:

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

My mom wanted me to get a cell phone when I first started driving in case of emergency. I had 400 minutes on it and those 400 minutes lasted me for months. Since then I've just always had a phone - I still don't use the phone that often, I can still make 400 minutes stretch out for months. But I do text occassionally just to be silly and let people know I'm thinking of them.

I definitely depend on my cell phone to help me out in emergencies. I'm always locking my keys in my car or getting a flat tire or dealing with a dying battery - I have shit luck with cars, and my phone has saved me from being stranded countless times.

I have a smart phone now so I do use my phone a lot for the internet, which is really no different than using a computer. Its just portable and convenient.

I used to feel like having a cell phone was a bit like a leash, but then people figured out I never answer my phone anyways so they stopped calling. Thats why I like texting; I don't have to stop what I'm doing and pick up the phone. I can return a text on my own time.

The other day at work I pretended to call someone on my phone because I was walking around outside and passed a coworker sitting on a bench - I didn't feel like having awkward coworker conversation. Or even making eye contact.

I've been guilty of pretending to text when I get left in a room alone with someone I don't know very well too.

This isn't different from the days before cell phones, however. I've always had horrible social anxiety. Without cell phones I would have passed the coworker without making eye contact anyways, and without the excuse of a cell phone he would have thought I was a huge bitch. And I would be stuck sitting in rooms not saying a word to people I don't know very well.

Either way, I wouldn't be socializing.

8. MayQueen~420~

MayQueen~420~ ♫♪♫♪

I don't like talking on the phone at all! My old lady and I share a pre-paid phone, but she mostly uses it. We have a land line, but no one except her parents and the College that I go to has the number.

9. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

I'm the only person i know without a phone....

10. Skooky

Skooky Member

Exactly ! since I rarely have my cel phone with me, or even on, or even charged except when I am out travelling or camping out by myself somewhere, people will call the people I am with on there cel phones to try to talk to me or to give me messages. Therefore the mere presence of a cel phone affects me. Even if I choose not to use one. I've been to social gatherings with friends where they have sat around texting each other and sending pictures and such back and forth rather than talking to one another.

~peace

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

Remember back in the day when you would practically get strip searched for a camera going into a concert?? Cell phones changed a lot of that.

12. Grasshopper91

Grasshopper91 Member

lol no. My cell keeps me entertained on my breaks. :D

13. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels Member

I just have a cell phone because it's more convenient to check email. I receive a huge volume of email every day, and it would be hell to check it less than 3 times a day.

I wish it were not necessary. It's like you lose freedom by being forced to carry one around all the time.

14. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

Skooky is indeed spot on.
    Yes, and like you said in your other post, we are now seeing people who are in proximity of each other actually communicating via their techno-toys.

Where I live, very few people use smartphones. I don't own one. When I went to visit Europe last year for the first time in a few years, I guess smart phones had exploded - as soon as I arrived at the airport in EU, EVERYONE was sitting at a wifi hot spot, clicking away on their smartphone. A year later the trend is much worse.

Unfortunately I sort of need to keep my phone with me for work, if not for that I would be happy not to have a phone at all. I think it would be nice to raise kids in a world where people actually came to your house and rang the door bell, and where you could go out without having to be reachable, but I won't have that chance.

15. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

I have the most stripped down cell phone you can get. If it was up to me I wouldn't have one. The only reason I have it is in case my daughter runs into some kind of problem.

16. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I only want one for two reasons:
    Google in my pocket, easier to get/keep numbers

I don't want to pay for one. I don't want people to be able to reach me. I don't want to pay for all kinds've extras I don't want.

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I still remember my friends' numbers from 10-15 years ago before everyone had cell phones and we had to actually memorize numbers. I never forgot them.

Anytime my cell phone breaks or I drop it in water I lose pretty much every number I have (i haven't had a cell phone with a sim card in years and I'm too technologically challenged to figure out how to load my cell phone memory to a computer) and I don't have anyone's number memorized.

18. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Yes and I prefer my privacy..... I dont want one of those spy boxs!!