Am I Rainbow Child?

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by redgingergirl, May 19, 2013.

1. redgingergirl

redgingergirl Member

So I have had many people speak of the rainbow family and many swear I should be one.:2thumbsup: But I'm still not entirely sure what Rainbow Family considers themselves. I'm looking for a breakdown on what is believed, what is the focus, and how does it make you happy?
    Personally I believe in energy that flows through everything and a oneness within all of us that can be felt among like minded people. What is it to you?:sunny:

2. wobs

wobs Senior Member

hi redgingergirl,what is a rainbow family meant to be

3. redgingergirl

redgingergirl Member

A family I suppose but that still doesn't answer what the general beliefs and concepts are included.

4. Grainpsilo

Grainpsilo Member

Basically if you are a douche that can sit in your own filth and bitch about how you don't need society while eating processed foods and chain smoking marboro reds and not get the irony...or if you are willing to sleep with strangers for drugs.. Then you are exactly the kind of person I have met at every rainbow family gathering

5. redgingergirl

redgingergirl Member

Well that doesn't sound pleasant. Im married so no sleeping with poeple for drugs. Processed crap foods give you cancer among other ailments. I like Mary Jane. Switching to e-cigs instead of ciggarettes so i can continue to breath. ( i still sneak puffs here and there....shoooo dont tell noone) But when i do smoke cigs i prefer american spirit in a can. so that doesn't sound very rainbowish. it kinda sounds like every jock and prep from my highschool hitting rock bottom.

6. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

sometimes this one guy at the gathering will ask hundreds of people
    'what is love' and write down the replies . there was for sure at least
    one person who said just about exactly what you do . that would be
    like-minded . my friend Sister Kate always says sit your ass in the dirt
    and be humble before thy God .

what is it to me ? it is a bless-ed trail .

1 person likes this.
  7. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I wouldn't take just grainpsilo's, or any one person's word on it.

here's what I said on another thread http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showpost.php?p=7620586&postcount=2

asking what rb gatherings are about is a bit like asking what camping is about.

sounds like the gatherings might be for you, but you might want to learn a little more and go prepared

8. redgingergirl

redgingergirl Member

Very cool. What exactly is done at one of the gatherings? Its sound hippish but are there any set events that take place?

9. FlowerMama

FlowerMama Member

There are different 'families' you can join depending on your social/religious/beliefs - there's a marketplace where you can trade goods (no cash) and you work together on a daily basis.
    It's not a "fest", it's more like going to the cottage with your family.
    Except your family is hundreds of people and the cottage is a field in the middle of nowhere. :D

10. newbie-one

there's the nationals and the regionals

nationals are big, thousands of people. there's usually an info desk, and there's stuff planned, like performances, but mostly people hang out, swim, do whatever

there's a big "OM" and a dinner circle

you can find pictures and more info online

11. redgingergirl

redgingergirl Member

Very informative thankyou ^.^ Are there specific locations for gatherings? Can you follow them on facebook? Does it vary from state to state or is it nationwide gatherings?

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

The rainbow family borrowed their name from an old Hopi proverb that said men would polluteand kill the earth until a generation comes along that will grow their hair long and seek the ways of the Hopi tribe. They said these people will be known as the rainbow people. So that is the essence of what the rainbow family is supposed to be like, but I've never been to a gathering so I don't know if that is what it's really about.

13. redgingergirl

redgingergirl Member

What was your first experiences like?

14. caogomi

caogomi Guest

Rainbow gatherings are microcosms of the world at large. It is important to note that everything from business men/women to gutter punks can be found at gatherings, and people from every walk of life can be found at a gathering generally (specifically at the nationals where there are thousands of people, smaller ones can sometimes be a little less diverse in either direction of the spectrum). So yes there are things that might personally upset you, things you might disagree with, or people who simply suck balls. But there are also a lot of other people who are wonderful, knowledgeable, kind, generous, loving people too.

Every gathering is different and has different energies (in my experience). And even gatherings I have been to that have left me feeling tired, a little sad, and frustrated have taught me something about myself and others. So to say rainbow gathering is this, or that, im my experience never seems to hold true, because it all depends on where you are at (inside and out) and where you are (geographically so to speak), and who you end up being with and around.

Usually there will be camps and/or people who set up around kitchens if they are not a kitchen themselves. Though kitchens seem to be a focal point for people to collect around have fires, socialize, plug into be it help getting fire wood, help with cooking, or other general tasks that help out the "cluster" of folk who you end up around, not everyone will do this and some may decide to not really stay in one spot or plug into a certain place. There isn't some kind of rule or a "how it works" because how it works is simply whatever ends up happening, largely in part to how you and the people around you choose to relate to each other and what peoples intentions are if any.

Some people go for healing, some to get away from their life at home or at work for a little while, some people live on the road and gatherings can be good places for them to meet up with friends or simply relax for a while. Some people go to get away from some substance others may go to imbibe them. Some might go simply seeking "a rad party" and end up having a life changing experience. Some people might go seeking a life changing experience and end up finding simply a rad or lame party.

No one is a leader, no one can say this is what rainbow gathering is or isn't in a general way at any rate. They can only say what it is for them, or what it seems like to them. Some people may have gone to one or two gatherings and feel its total shit based on bad experiences or even from hearing of a friends bad experiences, or worse yet based on total rumor/myth of "the rainbow family is/did this and this" (the shit iv'e seen on reddit sometimes makes me tip over laughing). Sure there are often common themes, and you will most likely run into blissed out somewhat ridiculous people, you also may find you want to roll your eyes more than a few times at what people are saying or doing, but somehow this doesn't ruin the autonomy and the magic that is really there to be found if you want to find it.

It in it's simplest description is a butt load of all kinds of people gathering in the woods, permit free, on public land. Exercising their right to freely assemble and to wish, hope, pray or meditate on peace. Of course as I mention above, some people could give a shit less about that aspect and it functions more as a family reunion, getting to see people you have not seen in years, shoot the shit, kick back, relax and have fun. It is best to assume every person you meet is there for their own reasons, and this is part of what makes it beautiful.

A good video to watch might be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzjGuWODWgs its long, but it was a video explaining gatherings for occupy folk, the similarities and the differences etc and so fourth. Possibly dry (I didn't think so) but quite informative. Its less the blissy "ohhhh everything is so perfect and wonderful, rainbow is a utopia and nothing but love", videos you might see elsewhere. Sorry for the long rant, but so far all I saw were vague answers and some borderline troll action going on.

If you like reading a good book for you might be: http://www.amazon.com/People-Rainbo...=1369087982&sr=8-1&keywords=rainbow+gathering as it talks about the history of the gatherings, and some other aspects of it. Been a while since I read it, but if it even seems semi-interesting to you then you might considering going someday when the time is right for you.

15. newbie-one

:elf:

16. caogomi

caogomi Guest

ok ok edit that to "so far most of what I saw" :2thumbsup: You def provided some much needed info, much of which was basically what I was saying here, perhaps needlessly I guess, but I saids it all the same :) /me hugs

17. newbie-one

:)

18. redgingergirl

redgingergirl Member

Lol thankyou I feel I have a better understanding, and I don't have time to watch the video now but i'll watch it soon. =)

19. luvione

luvione Member

we all are.
    welcome home!

20. Angelx1

Angelx1 Member

That is such a fucked up thing to say. Did you read what you wrote before you decided to post it? You dont know what people are going through , like who do you think you are? Not a rainbow thats for sure.