Am I doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Dread_Monkee, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Dread_Monkee

Dread_Monkee Member

I had long hair but after two horrible hair cuts I decided it was time. I have been wanting dreads for years now and was wondering is it better to start them out short? My hair is about 5 inches long and I started dreading with the back combing method and....gosh I hate to say it... WAX.... very little but still....ACCKKK I found this forum and started reading and stopped using wax for good. I think I have gotten most of it out with REALLY hot water. I do not feel it in there anymore like I used to. But the ends seem to come unravled often. I back comb just the ends here and there and rub between my fingers on the ends... but do these look okay for only being about 1 and a half months old??? It sticks up EVERYWHERE cause it is so short so I don't dare go in public without something on my head... but just wanted to see if you all could tell my a photo if it looks like I am going in the right direction. I have been using the dreadheadhq shampoo which I don't care for at all, but I paid for the big kit they offer, and now don't use anything but the shampoo... LOL when it is gone, I believe I am going to buy some Dr. Bronners tea tree soap and try that.

Thanks for any input on my little dreadies. When my hair gets long they will be awesome I think. My hair grows fast too.

[​IMG]

Thanks guys so much... all of you are way cool.
    Terri (DreadMonkee)

2. WorldPeace

WorldPeace Senior Member

I guess they look ok for only 1,5 months. But a little bit loose for backcombed locks. But those will probably turn out fine ;) Mine were loose too, just give it some time. You can twist and rip the ends if they're very loose.

3. KungFuKelly

KungFuKelly Member

I agree with the twisting and ripping. Don't backcomb them anymore, when I stopped re-backcombing was when they started really taking shape. Wear a wool hat a lot.

4. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

i think they look great. mine are that old and they look like shit lol but i know they will be dreadies someday and thats all that matters to me :)

5. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

just leave your hair alone...........it'll lock up eventually, just wash it, and wait. Dreadlocks take time, and nothing can hasten that, even backcombing is just a method of cultivating dreadlocks. I would advise throwing out that dreadheadhq soap, i've heard alot of bad things about it, some people on knottylocks swear it hinders the dreading process.

6. Dread_Monkee

Dread_Monkee Member

Oh wow okay well I will get rid of the dreadheadhq.. what do you use? I wash every three or four days... and have really just left it alone... have backcombed some of the ends here recently to try and keep em tight. I think I may try some sea salt water mixture... spraying it in. Maybe that will help if I do that once every couple of weeks... I dunno.. they are just very wild and stand out everywhere... I think I am going to try Dr. Bronners... thats what I have heard alot of people using on here. Thanks guys for the replys and the much needed help. You guys are the GREATEST!!!

7. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

Doc Bronners is good stuff, I use the tea tree flavor, but any castile soap will work in a pinch. I really really don't advise spraying seasalt on your hair, alot of people swear it helps, but i've seen those same people asking a year later why their hair is breaking so much, salt causes enormous damage to your hair and can weaken it, thus putting you at risk of your locks falling out later.

8. KyndMama07

KyndMama07 Member

Your hair looks just like mine. I am loosely backcombing bits that are already picking up hairs. I think they will probably turn out fine.

9. WorldPeace

WorldPeace Senior Member

Don't worry about shampoo, I always used normal shampoo and they locked up very nice.. don't see why everyone's using special shampoo :p

10. lunatic_on_the_grass

lunatic_on_the_grass Member

i just use anything thats natural. were you can read all the ingredients. then you know nothing bad is going into your hair. tea tree oil feels sweet on your scalp. if you have naturally soft hair like me, its better to use soaps without fragrence, apparently this is oily, and makes your hair soft and shiney, not knotty :D which is the aim here.