Alright, hair.

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by drew172, Aug 5, 2008.

1. drew172

drew172 Senior Member

So at the beginning of the summer, for about two weeks I didn't wash my hair once...Yea it started to get a bit greasy and whatnot, but never too bad or too out of control as I was swimming in the pool just about every single day. Then on thursday last week, I washed it...there were hairs coming out into my hands my hair went all flat and and felt thinner...I hated it.

I haven't washed it since then, except yesterday. Yesterday I made a mix of lime juice, water and sea salt. And it worked amazingly!!! I couldn't beleive how well it got rid of any grease, but didn't do the shit that shampoo does and no crappy ass chemicals either..

Do you think that simply washing with that mixture will be easy to continue? Any thoughts, or advice is welcome.

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

since you have oily hair, salt is ok for now. Do watch for overdrying (that's why salt helps dreads) as you get older and the oil production for your skin levels out, or drops off.
    you can also try a brown sugar scrub then rinse with the acidic (lime juice) rinse.
    I know of plenty of folks who do what they call water only (WO) washes.
    I notice they will occasionally use a shampoo, or conditioner only (CO) wash.

My real concern is how you get all the pool chemicals out.
    What do you do for that? they can weaken hair ind make it break.

3. drew172

drew172 Senior Member

Chems in my pool are weak...It's a salt water pool...

I don't swim in it too much now, it's gotten much too cold out.

Thanks for the advice though...I was thinking of maybe trying to go the natural route for dreads...but I'm not sure yet...

As of right now, my hair pretty much feels normal...Not too oily as it was before and it's not dried out at all either... I'll keep check on it after I wash it next with the sea salt.

4. drumminmama

if the salt seems rough on your scalp of hair, you can also try baking soda, followed with a weak apple cider vinegar and water rinse.

5. drew172

drew172 Senior Member

Baking soda was the reason why I ended up using shampoo the last time I did....I suppose I should have thought of using something better than just water to rinse it out...It clumped my hair together and I tried to claw it out but couldn't...I ended up lathering up twice to fix it...

6. drew172

drew172 Senior Member

If drumminmama is suggesting it, I wouldn't doubt that it works. :)

7. ShortyAH

ShortyAH Member

Baking soda will cause your hair to knot and dread haha, so it's normal, but apple cider vinegar is good and lemon juice and sea salt too.

8. drumminmama

actually, I've gone up to 6 months using baking soda with the weak acidic rinse, and it made my hair really silky. Almost too silky to keep in buns, etc.
    the acidic rinse works to smooth the cuticle of the hair like a conditioner.
    for dreads, I used Dr. B's good old peppermint.