Almost There

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Shmoopie, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Shmoopie

Shmoopie Member

Hello everybody! I have hair below my shoulders that I've been growing out with the intent of getting dreads. I'm going to have a friend backcomb them for me in about a week, and I have a few questions.

I've waited for summer vacation to begin before getting them done, and now it's time. I only have two months to get them looking presentable. As much as I hate to admit it, I am the man's bitch, and my high school band director will freak if they look like crap for a year. We are a very respected organization, and I have already pushed her limits with my hair as it is. Is there any way I can make them look nice? I have nothing but free time that I'm willing to spend on them.

Secondly, where can I find Dr. Bronners soap? I can't buy it from the website and no local chains sell it.

I had a whole list of questions in my head right before I sat down to type... Oh well...

Pictures to come, both before and after.

2. young_deadhead

young_deadhead I Love Lucy

do you have a bank account? If you do open up a paypal account and buy some dr. bronners off of ebay.

3. amethystrse

amethystrse Member

It really depends on who you talk to. Some people say that you should work on them as much as possible (palmrolling, rebackcombing, etc) and others say that you should just let them do their thing or that working on them too much can make them look worse.

What I would suggest is maybe wearing something on your head when you need to look "presentable" or pull them back or something.

Do you have a Henry's or other health food store near you? They usually sell it and if they don't have it they may still be able to order it for you.

*hugs* and good luck!
    Jessica

4. andonyc

andonyc Member

its going to take a bit more than 2 months. After two months its going to be kind of difficult to take them off because you kind of get attached to them. If you want to take them out you can cut them off or use lots of conditioner and comb them out, it make take a couple of hours though. Just do what amethystrse said and just wear something on your head like a head band, thats what I do for school and work.

5. knotty rye

knotty rye Member

yeah...my dreads were 2 months old yesterday and nowhere near looking "nice". hahaha.

6. Shmoopie

Shmoopie Member

Thanks guys. I think that if they look like dreads and not just tangled hair, I'll be okay. And I'm pretty sure there's a Henry's around here somewhere. I'll check there later and make myself a head band.

I read somewhere that certain types of towels and pillowcases can leave bits of lint and such in your hair. My hair is pretty light, so any color at all will stand out. Any materials you recommend?