Almost Got Kicked Out of a Store

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by Scooch, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Scooch

Scooch Member

Last weekend I went over a friends house for a few hours. I wore flip-flops and took them off when I got in the house. A few hours later we decided to get some snacks when we noticed her new puppy chowed on one of them. We laughed it off, as she's actually the one who encouraged me to start going barefoot and took a ride to the drug store down the street. I was in there a few minutes when the manager (or the peron in charge at midnight) says to me "are you going to be long?" I honestly didn't know what he meant so I just kinda gave him a weird look and said "I'm all set" He replies "I'm going to have to ask you to leave...you gotta have shoes!" I wasn't insulted by it... I told him that I'l be out of there in a minute as I was waiting for my friend (who was also barefoot) to finsh her shopping. Then some big dude behind goes to the manager "give the kid a break. He's not doing anything wrong. He's still dressed better than most people his age" Not only was this cool because someone defended me, but because I'm closer to 40 than 30 and to have someone refer to me as a 'kid' made my weekend! Anyways, the manager let me be for the 10 or 15 minutes I stayed in the store. That's the first time anyone ever really acknowledged me being barefoot in public...

2. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

I commend that guy behind the counter for sticking up for you. I agree you were doing nothing wrong, just patronizing a business, in barefeet or in flip flops there's just as much foot exposure. Besides, the dirt on the bottom of your feet is the exact same dirt on the bottom of another patron's shoes. Then what's the difference??

Count this as a victory for us barefooters!

Barefoot Rick likes this.
  3. wildflowereyes

wildflowereyes Senior Member

the difference is if someone barefoot has a cut of some sort on their foot (not everyone has tough feet.. that takes time), and in the off chance that they step in something harmful that goes into the cut, and then they get sick.. the store can get sued.
    i used to work in a convienent store.. believe me, those floors have ALL sorts of things on them.
    And technically he's allowed to kick you out for any reason at all. He could kick you out cause he doesnt like the color of your tshirt.

BUT it is wonderful that someone stuck up for a barefooter. :) :D the chances of you getting sick from it are so small, so its stupid anyone has the right to care if you're barefoot.

4. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

True, that can happen, but not not likely. Even though flip flops are allowed what's to prevent me from dropping a gallon of milk on my foot and sue them for a broken toe? How about tripping over a potato chip display, falling on the floor and suing over a broken wrist? Or maybe yet accidently spilling a hot pot of coffee on my hand a sue for burns to my fingers. The list can go on, but still things can happen to a person even when wearing shoes.

Where does it end?

5. wildflowereyes

wildflowereyes Senior Member

haha... true. i had a 6 pack of beer fall on a guys foot.. he was in flip flops. since it was bottles, they broke.. i was so scared. :p

But personally, i was always more concerned with the bums using the bathroom sick as a bath.. :p :D

6. Acorn

Acorn Member

its cool they let you stay. i usually dont go into stores barefoot but once i went to a small grocery store with some friends, i didnt get kicked out but did get some dirty looks.

Barefoot Rick likes this.