allergies

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Earthy Mama, Apr 27, 2007.

  1. Earthy Mama

    Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

    my daughter has allergies... her nose is runny and clear EVERYDAY all day. I feel so bad for her and she always looks messy. Anyone know of anything I can do for her? I can't figure out what it is. Her dad is allergic to everything and she started getting runny as soon as he did (everything thawed for spring). I hate medication unless its nessasary (sp?) and I refuse to talk to her ped. She only goes if shes sick. I can't find a good one in this area who has any other opinion besides overmedicating always and he is such an asshole to me. He is one of those holier than thou types and he doesn't agree with how I raise my childern at all. Therefore, I'd rather not take her there. Everyone has been telling me there is nothing I can do for her. Any advice?

    [​IMG]
     
  2. homeschoolmama

    homeschoolmama Senior Member

    Massive amounts of Vitamin C, (maybe even a suppliment?) shampooing the carpet if you've got it, dust barriers on her mattress & pillow, and an air cleaner in her bedroom. And limit her to one lovey on her bed. (preferably one with short or no hair, but that can be tough) You can toss just about any stuffed animal into the dryer for about 10 minutes & it'll help get the dust out.

    These things HELP with allergies. Everyone in my family has seasonal & dust allergies and we fight this constantly too. While it's true there isn't a whole lot you can do... there are a few things that can help. Oh yeah, and as awful as it sounds... keep the windows closed unless you get those filters that fit over the screen. My kids are worst when I open the windows to let fresh air in each spring.

    Good luck! and ((((((Hugs!!!)))))) I know EXACTLY what you're going through; we're there too right now.
    love,
    mom
     
  3. IvoryVision

    IvoryVision Member

    Awwww! What a pretty! Sorry that she's having to deal with allergies. Now that she's over a year old, you might try giving her a some local raw honey each day. You said that "since the spring thaw" she's been having issues, so I'd guess it's a pollen thing. Local honey made by bees collecting pollen from the local plantlife is kind of like a vaccination of sorts... Her system will get exposed to those allergens directly into her body, and her immune system will start building immunities to them. I know that it really helped my Dad, when he was doing it. He did the honey method for a couple of years, but stopped. I suppose when he stopped, the immunities wore off or the pollen evolved or something. But it's an all natural treatment, and definitely pleasant. It'd be more of a treat for her than it would be "medicine".
     
  4. stonedmonkiwana

    stonedmonkiwana K9 Handler

    I wish I could help, but I don't really know of anything other than Benadryl and I don't think you are supposed to give it to kiddies that young. Just wanted to say what a beautiful baby!
     
  5. Krsna Bhakti

    Krsna Bhakti d-_-b JAMMING

    Jack has this too :( Not EVERYDAY but a lot of days.
     
  6. Earthy Mama

    Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

    thanks for the tips... i noticed that with the windows being open too homeschoolmama. I'm def going try all of this. We were cautious about honey but now that she is over a year old I'll give her a little to try.
     
  7. HippyFreek

    HippyFreek Vintage Member

    We went to the Tulip fields this year and I came home with a MASSIVE allergy attack.

    And then I ate some local honey (unpasteurised, but can be pasteurised for the baby) and the allergies were gone in a matter of two days.

    Local honey contains all the prevalent local pollens and can help your body learn and react to them better. :)
     
  8. IvoryVision

    IvoryVision Member

    Since she's over a year old, unpasteurized honey should probably be fine. But, start out with little doses. My Dad weighs 250 pounds, and when he was taking his maximum dose, he was taking a tablespoon a day. Also, because it is allergens you are introducing, you want to start out small enough that her systen has time to build up. If you do try, she may get more of a runny noce for a few days(immune response and perfectly fine) but keep up with it, and you should see improvement within a couple weeks. I'd just dip a little baby spoon in it, let it all run off, and let her lick off what's left... That would probably be less than a quarter teaspoon and a safe amount for her. Maybe you could try every other day as well, until you see how she reacts. Hope it works out for you if you try it.
     

Share This Page


  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice