All Natural House Cleaning

Discussion in 'Home Decor and Household Tips' started by sweetdreadlover, Jul 20, 2007.

1. sweetdreadlover

sweetdreadlover TattooedRainbowGurl

Anyone have any kind of natural ways for cleaning dishes(im allergic to detergent) and clothes as well( im also allergic to bleach)

2. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

I sell Shaklee. It costs a little more than your normal detergent, but I suggest trying that. It's all natural and the cleaning products are absolutely amazing. They're motto is that it doesn't have to smell to be clean-they are unscented and work great for allergies and asthma. www.shaklee.net/maliam check them out.

3. *Autumn*Epona*

*Autumn*Epona* Hemptress

I use Dr. Bronner's in my laundry with 1/4 cup each Borax and Washing Soda.....for dishes I use Dr. Bronner's or Mrs. Meyer's Dishwashing Liquid. As an alternative to bleach you can use either Sodium Percabonate or Hydrogen Peroxide......my cleaning cupboard has white vinegar, lemon juice, Dr. Bronner's, washing soda, borax, and salt.....there are plenty of great recipes out there for natural cleaning products...just google it.

4. sweetdreadlover

i never thought of using dr. bronners...id go throuh gallons as i already use it as a body wash and a shampoo...lol...ill just have to start buying the pump dispensers!

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I actually buy it in the smaller jug (gallon? half?) and yes, a pump is priceless!
    ditto on my shampoo and conditioner.
    have you tried Bronner's Sal Suds for general cleaning? slight pine scent (real pine, not like pine sol)

6. sweetdreadlover

ive never heard of it...where can i find it?

7. sunnycynic

sunnycynic Member

red wine and dry, uncooked rice can get rid of any stubborn crust on harder-to-clean dishes, like decanters or anything with a small neck. pour in a little red wine, then the rice. cover the opening and shake it violently. the acidity of the red wine breaks through the gunk, and the abrasion of the rice removes it. for cleaning sink, bathrooms, etc., lemon juice and salt are a great alternative to comet, old dutch cleanser, etc. you can even cut a lemon in half, cover the inside with salt, and use the lemon as a scrubber. same concept as the rice and red wine-acidity and abrasion. so gentle, you won't even need gloves. watch "how clean is your house?"-the british version, NOT the u.s. episodes. the british show concentrates on natural cleaning, but the u.s. show is sponsored by corporations, so all they do is advertise for harsh chemicals and throw away tons of wipes, swiffers, etc.

8. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Interesting sunnycynic. Can vinegar be used instead of red wine? Wouldn't want to waste a perfectly good bottle...

9. sunnycynic

sunnycynic Member

i'm sure it could, since vinegar can be used for lots of cleaning purposes. i hadn't thought of trying red wine vinegar. prob cheaper. i just drank red wine, yay!

10. sweetdreadlover

i am SOOOO addicted to how clean is your house/...i record it every day on BBC :)

11. sunnycynic

sunnycynic Member

i know! isn't it awesome? my tivo has a season pass!

12. drumminmama

sal suds are at most HFS in the cleaning section, or on the Web site for Dr Bronners, in a pinch.
    I'm going to try the acid and rice on a nasty coffee push pot I have. thanks for the tip!

13. sweetdreadlover

i bought a book that was written by the ladies from how clean is your house? and it has the best tips ever!! i would recommend it to anyone!!

14. sunnycynic

sunnycynic Member

whats the book's title and where did you get it? i would def buy it. i've actually found their methods to be more effective than commercial cleaners. you're welcome, drumminmama. i've never tried that one myself, just the things they do with lemons and oranges, but what i have attempted has worked beautifully. i also finally found a place that stocks dr. bronner's. it's amazing how many uses one bottle of the stuff has, and how small an amount it takes to do it. that means you don't use it up as quickly as commercial stuff, so that means less plastic bottles in landfills. beautiful all around!

15. sweetdreadlover

i found it on ebay under books and the title is how clean is your house? by kim woodburn and aggie mckenzie and has a pic of them on the cover...i recommend the hardcover(will run u about 6 or 7 bux) as it will hold up better:)

16. drumminmama

I used rice and white vinegar and saved an airpot (push pot).
    It was fantastic!
    I'll be salvaging the toss aways at the venue this weekend.

17. sweetdreadlover

lol....yes, the rice and vinager method does WONDERS....theres so many other little tips that work wondrs that i had no idea of!!!

18. gertie

gertie Senior Member

great tips!!

19. sunnycynic

sunnycynic Member

better for you too! i don't even have to wear gloves when i use lemon juice, vinegar, etc. I also felt really relieved becuase i just read an article on yahoo! news that said that asthma is on the rise among adults who use commercial cleaning products at least once a week for more than a few minutes. maybe this is one of those examples of when cause is confused with correlation, but i buy it. cleaning the bathroom with scrubbing bubbles makes my head feel light, then later gives me a headache. if it does that to me, should i soak in a bathtub cleaned with it, or put my toothbrush on that surface? no, thanks!

also, whats that biological washing powder that they're always using on the british version? where can you get it, what are some brand names its sold under, etc.? i'm very interested in it as they say its totally biodegradable.

20. drumminmama

biological is the British organic.