Alice in Wonderland

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by timewarp, Jul 30, 2007.

1. timewarp

timewarp Member

Many people might think that this book is for children.....NOT ONLy for children, Lewis Carroll wrote "in betweeen the lines" and wanted to convey to adults the importance of imagination and going beyond reality......before the grasp of REALITY takes hold of us all. I have read and re-read this book over many times and it still fascinates me 100% each time.
    To those of you haven't read it.--.-READ IT!!!

Rob

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Morganna

Morganna Member

I always thought so too. I love Alice in Wonderland and I really need to gwet a copy again.

3. elayne

elayne no longer available

Yes, I agree. Its a good one to read to my girls, b/c they enjoy it and I get more out of it everytime I pick it up. It actually addresses the issues of prejudice and questioning authority. There are plenty of ideas for the adult to glean.

4. amiranelle

amiranelle Member

such a good book. im an Alice freak. the book is amazing and is so much easier to appreciate when youre older.

5. Le_Femme_Floral

Le_Femme_Floral Member

Oh, it's so amazing.
    I love it.

6. SariaMew456

SariaMew456 Member

I love this book too. Growing up I was only exposed to the Disney movie and such... then a year ago, I finally read the book (along with "Peter Pan") - and WOW!

Yeah. Those of you who haven't read it yet, pick it up... unless you can only do the whole "linear plot" thing, and then you should avoid it at all costs. ;)

He did definitely "write between the lines", though. It's very similar to "Gulliver's Travels" in that way...

7. Jon-Erik

Jon-Erik Member

It's interesting to note that while this is essentially a fantasy it tells you a lot about the author's time and place: in this case Victorian England. It's as much a history lesson as anything.

8. Prelga

Prelga Member

Alice in Wonderland is split in two books isnt that so?

9. Katie89

Katie89 Senior Member

I was looking for a thread on Alice in Wonderland because I will be reading it for school next week, are there any special themes or symbols that I should pick up on, or look for while reading the book?

10. myself

myself just me

Yes, it's always a nice book to re-read.

There are many layers to this story. It can be read as a glimpse into a world of the imagination, but also as a satire of Victorian institutions and habits...

11. indigolightning

indigolightning Member

Read "Alice Through the Looking-Glass" too. It's great.

My favorite line in "Alice in Wonderland" is: "Take some more tea," the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly. "I've had nothing yet," Alice replied in an offended tone, "so I can't take more." "You mean you can't take less," said the Hatter, "it's very easy to take more than nothing." (Try fitting your mind around this. It's also entertaining to try to on your friends and watch the looks on their faces.)

What's everyone else's favorite lines/scenes?