Alexandira Ocasio-Cortez is a result of Trump

Discussion in 'Politics' started by unfocusedanakin, Jan 6, 2019.

1. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Hahaha

2. I think you'll find that most billionaires and massive corporations actually do invest quite a bit into the citizenry. For some it's altruism, sure. But for others it's a smokescreen, a way to look good for customers and shareholders.

I saw a bit of this in Africa when I was working for a fat British company, that was based in the US (I never understood that last bit). During my stay there we were taken to a hospital and a school that had been "refurbished" by the company. To me, it looked like each facility got a coat of paint and a few new chairs. But it was played up as if they had solved some great problem. I was revolted by the way they were patting themselves on the back for doing just barely enough to be able to claim they helped.

Another firm I worked for in Argentina did something similar, but they also bought medical supplies and opened a new clinic in the middle of nowhere that actually did things like stitch cuts and give vaccines.

In the US we have the same hit or miss. Corporations and wealthy bastards provide window dressing for some cause, then bail out of town when the job is done. We have these kinds of band-aid examples all over the country. It reminds me of the futility of some cities who promote "midnight basketball" as an alternative to gangs instead of something more enlightening and actually educational. Then there's the corporate efforts to teach coal miners how to code when most of them can barely balance a checkbook.

There's too much of this feel-good foolery going on.

3. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Well that’s surprising.

4. Indeed, they have been scrubbed from the web as fast as possible. Only a few screen shots remain, if you can find them.

Was the bit about "farting cows" true? Who knows?

But the bit about replacing air travel with trains is a little weird, as the senator from Hawaii explained (train tracks don't float).

The thing about this is that it should have been vetted long before a draft was prepared. Too often time is spent making a draft, then sending it for review. What should have happened was a series of committee meetings to outline the points. THEN a draft is prepared and reviewed. A process that should have taken a year for such far-reaching ideals.

We used to call this jumping the gun (an old horse racing term, not an NRA endorsement).

5. Yea, I stole it from Grease.

6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

7. Ok, but was it in the GND? That was what I was asking. And really, I doubt cow farts add up to what dinosaur farts must have. But then, maybe it wasn't a meteor after all!!

8. soulcompromise

9. soulcompromise

lol

10. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

An alternative theory to consider is that you received low grades because your answers were wrong, specious or demonstrated ignorance. If you engaged in the logical fallacies, misinformation, and disinformation you've demonstrated in your forum posts, a low grade might be understandable.
    Apparently you were not converted by these clumsy indoctrination efforts. Why would you suppose your classmates would be? Also, were logic and statistical sampling methods included in your curriculum? I find it curious that you would believe your experience at one college or university is generalizable to the entire country. My professors weren't "leftists" and they kept their opinions out of the classroom.

It requires a leap of logic to assume that because college kids react in a hostile manner to "conservative" (aka, radical right) speakers it must be because their professors put them up to it or indoctrinated them. It might just be because, as educated youth, they were aware of the outrageous falsehoods the deliberately provocative right wing speakers were propagating and it pissed them off. Anne Coulter and Milo come to mind. As I recall, Ahmadinejad became a laughing stock on that tour when he told the audience there were no gays in Iran.

Au contraire. History must have been one of those courses in which you received a low grade. The history of capitalism in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries illustrates ruthless disregard for the public interest and human well-being on the part of the captains of industry. Once again, your anecdotes about your grandfather provide an unsound basis for generalizing about healthcare practices in the country at large. Your grandfather was practicing during an era in which the professions were still governed by traditional norms of decency and service. Those have suffered attrition as a result of many factors, but I'd include the "anything for a buck" yuppieism of the Reagan eighties among them.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Asmodean, Balbus and Meliai like this.
  11. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Apparently this was a real graphic on Fox. I want to believe this is fake but any news network has a corporate overlord even the left leaning ones. It makes sense they want this idea out there. I don't think it's impossible to reshape how we transport ourselves either.

[​IMG]

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

It's like they didnt read the Green New Deal at all

Even supposed "liberal" news outlets have been completely misrepresenting what it actually says. The worst, most deliberately misleading hit piece i've seen came from the Washington Post.

Democracy dies in darkness and shit

Fox can get away with it because they know their viewers arent going to actually read it. Hopefully WaPo readers can take 10 minutes out of their day to read through it and recognize a hit piece when they see one

unfocusedanakin likes this.
  13. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Yes, the earth was quite a bit warmer when the dinos ruled it than it is today, and carbon dioxide levels were several times higher, and there were no polar ice caps. That was then, this is now. The relevant questions are: Do greenhouse gases, contribute to global warming? Is human activity a major source of these gases? And would resulting climate change be substantially detrimental to human life as we know it? Most climate scientists answer all three of these questions in the affirmative. So what's your point?

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  14. I'm sure most corporations and billionaires do good deeds to look good on paper. Some of them actually do even give a shit. What I'm talking about is paying more in taxes, though. I don't see why that's such a difficult thing for them to do. I wager because the choice wouldn't be totally up to them what programs their money goes into. And I do believe there is a facet of society that likes things just the way they are. With other people suffering, just so that they can laugh at those people and be dicks. Trump and Sons are a part of that society. So are the Clintons. It's just a big superiority complex they all can't get over. They look down on us, and then some guy like Trump comes along and fools all of these simpletons, and it seems like justification. The commoners are idiots, and they don't want to help idiots live easier lives or go to college. It's just something they self-perpetuate to feed their personal sense of entitlement.

They go on the campaign trail and their big idea of how to appear to be one of us is going to a diner or something. I think they should have to go to some trailer court and eat someone's shitty green bean casserole in their houses. See if they can do it without vomiting.

15. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I've read the outline and it just seems like a grocery list of stuff that doesn't relate to being a green nation at all. There is stuff in there about "the unhoused, people with disabilities, and youth (referred to in this resolution as "frontline and vulnerable communities"). Really, America's youth are now "frontline and vulnerable communities"? The older I get the more I think of them as "Lit'l Bastards". There is also stuff about black people and unions. Helping them is a panacea I guess, it will magically solve all our environmental problems. Oh, and health care...gotta mention health care. In other words, it's just a Democrat list of things that they like under the heading of being "Green".

I want something like a green new deal also, but I feel the only way to do it is to invest heavily in science, making renewable energy a priority and realizing that our problems will not be solved in ten years or even in our own lifetimes. And we must get over our fear of nuclear energy. Any long term solution is going to involve nuclear power. And wind and solar too of course, but those have physical limitations and always will. There are only so many places on Earth where wind power is feasible, and only so much sunlight hits the surface of Earth. Nothing we can do about it.

16. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Maybe "green" is used in the broader sense popularized by Charles Reich in The Greening of America, describing the transition to the counter-cultural values of "Consciousness III". If so, wishful thinking, but a commendable start.

17. soulcompromise

18. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I probably survived the leftist indoctrination because I never bought into the big-hearted small-brained nature of left wing politics that were pushed on me and my generation. My classmates were all in for Obama. I couldn't trust Obama because he voted for the patriot act among other horrible bills. Seriously fuck that guy; he turned out to be GWB on steroids. I was a social outcast for that in political social circles because I hated Obama as far back as 2006.

Lucky you, that all your professors kept their biases to themselves. My guess is that you've never taken a soft-science class like sociology, or an environmental sciences/policy class while in the university. Marxism runs rampant in those departments. Hell, even my psychology professor pushed the soycailist idea that gender is a social construct (it is not).
    Sounds like an anomaly, even for a university in a red state. There's plenty of that shit in education, even in your area.

Oklahoma High school teacher tells students that all white people are racist

I'm in a saucy mood right now because this is getting tedious to have to bring this up again and again

Colleges and universities were invented for the purpose of challenging ideas, exposing minds to different worldviews, and broadening horizons. They've strayed away from that over the last several years due to left wing academics turning once reputable institutions into diploma mills. There's now a minefield of college majors to avoid, since many college majors out there do NOT teach any marketable skills to offer the workforce. There's no diversity of ideas at univiersities anymore. You and your Cult Master Balbus have a post history that reeks of advocating censorship of ideas you both disagree with. Jordan Peterson ain't lying.

In that case you must've failed history and economics too, or you're just coming up with random shit. The medical industry has gotten more and more regulated gradually over the last 60 years. Regulations that are enforced by imperfect, corruptible individuals who write the laws but have no experience working in the industry themselves. It didn't happen overnight. Physicians could still practice under the "traditional norms of decency and service" like my grandpa if they weren't regulated up the ass.

19. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Jordan Peterson is a kook whose opinions are far more off base than those of any professor I've ever encountered. For abundant supporting argument and evidence, see my numerous posts on the Jordan Peterson link in the People forum. He, himself, is in one of those "soft' disciplnes and plows the non-resistant field of Jungian psychology to provide fatherly advice for young milennial misfit males who have difficulty finding steady jobs and forming stable relationships with women. The general theme of conspiracy by leftist professors out to lead the youth of America astray has been a favorite talking point of a succession of right wing propagandists from Allen Bloom, Richard Hernstein, and Charles Murray to David Horowitz and Danesh d'Souza. I submit that your mindset predisposes you to swallow this tripe hook line and sinker. The abuses that they (you) talk about are largely confined to social science and humanities departments at certain elite colleges and universities. Yes, at my university there was a Marxist history professor who had a cadre of groupies. We just laughed at them. A true libertarian should realize that in a free society there will be people like this that we just have to put up with for the sake of --what's that phrase again--."exposing minds to different worldviews". Your Jordan Peterson wanted to blackball them with a computer program based on his skewed ideas about "postmodernist Marxists" (an oxymoron if there ever was one)

As I recall, only one Senator voted against the Patriot Act, which was rammed through after the 9-11 attack. It was a terrible law, but under the circumstances, understandable. I judge candidates on the totality of their records. Obama did an adequate job cleaning up the mess Bsuh and the Republicans handed him, including two wars and a recession.

You way overgeneralize. A good college education would have taught you not to do that. There are of course some ideas that colleges and universities won't teach you: Young Earth Creationism, eugenics, astrology, etc. But there's considerable diversity among them in terms of what they teach and the quality of the teaching. If you go to Grove City College, you can learn from professors who are connected with the Von Mises Institute. (I wouldn't recommend it!) As for free speech, I think the Constitution, as interpreted by the courts, does a nice job of protecting it while withholding protection for obscenity, fighting words, defamation, and crying fire in crowded theaters.

All regulations are made by imperfect, corruptible individuals (aka, humans) but the consequences of not having regulations for pure food and drugs, etc., leave us at the mercy of scoundrels and charlatans. The free market won't take care of externalities--something I did learn in my economics class. As usual, your lack of specificity makes it difficult to respond intelligently to your statements. The medical profession is regulated mainly by professional boards of ethics. Then there are HMOs inflicted by private insurance companies, and for patients on Medicare, there are restrictions on what the government will or will not pay. And of course there are the malpractice lawyers. In my community, most doctors for economic reasons are affiliated with the hospital that is often accused of encouraging unnecessary medical procedures to pay for its expensive medical equipment. Things were much simpler in your grandfather's time, but blaming it all on "government" is simplistic.

Balbus likes this.