'Alcohol makes your brain grow'

Discussion in 'Psychedelics' started by Silverbackman, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Silverbackman

Silverbackman Member

2. SILVERWOLF_87

SILVERWOLF_87 Member

One study done on mice is hardly proof...

Just cause something was published on a news site, doesn't mean it's true :D

3. smokindude

smokindude Senior Member

Silverwolf, i would just like to say your 1 cool dude. I dont know im posting this here, but ive read some of your post over the last couple days and me and you really are alike in some ways with our beliefs towards like and how life should be lived. I look forward to reading anything you have to say on these forums. Thank you.

4. desert nightmare

desert nightmare Senior Member

Complete bullshit! I promise it is a neurotoxin. Not good. May not be a very harsh one, but it will get it's job, of fucking up your life, done overtime.

5. LJDV

LJDV Member

It does kill brain cells, that is true.

6. PurpleGel

PurpleGel Senior Member

i was very surprised by that article....

i've only been thinking about it for less than 10 seconds, but it just doesn't make sense.

we've known for a long time that alcohol depresses (and kills) brain cells; it also impairs neurogenesis (the creation of new brain cells). that is, when new neurons are born under the influence, they are kind of "retarded," if you will, and once they mature and complete their migration (which takes about one month) to their final place in the brain (i.e. hypothalamus), they are still sub-par cells lacking the effective functioning of brain cells that have not been exposed to alcohol during their maturation process.

the only way i can make sense of a spurt of brain cells after drinking is by the adaptation model. basically, the body/brain rebounds after an event (e.g. the alcohol consumption). so i'm suggesting that perhaps the brain enters some sort of proliferation process (sparking the creation of new neurons) to counter the depressive and general toxic effects of the alcohol.

but i don't know if that's what is going on or not.