Air America on the Rocks

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lonewolf251, May 31, 2004.

1. Lonewolf251

Lonewolf251 Member

May 31, 2004

Office Politics Give Liberal Radio a Rocky Start

[size=-1]By JACQUES STEINBERG[/size]

[​IMG]ven by the chaotic standards of a new media company, Air America Radio's first two months of broadcasting have been convulsive.

The fledgling talk-radio network has replaced five top executives, been taken off the air in two of its top three markets and lost several crucial producers. By late April, current and former executives said last week, the company was perilously close to running out of money. It has since received an infusion of cash, though it has not disclosed how much or from whom.

The roiling in Air America's front office has undercut its continuing assurances that it has the financing and leadership to survive past the presidential election in November, in pursuit of its goal of establishing a permanent liberal counterpart to Rush Limbaugh and his radio cohort on the right.

In a sign that the privately held company's financial woes have not fully abated, Al Franken, the network's best-known star, said in an interview last week that he had agreed not to draw a salary, however temporarily, making him "an involuntary investor.''

"We had some bad management,'' Mr. Franken said. "Then we got some good management.''

Still, Mr. Franken, his tongue only partly in cheek, added, "It's a little fuzzy to me exactly who's in charge.
    Full story here
    ''http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/31/business/media/31air.html?ei=5062&en=707bcb9a3dc0e5f9&ex=1086580800&partner=GOOGLE&pagewanted=print&position=

2. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

3. Lonewolf251

Lonewolf251 Member

Yeah, "everything is fine" sounds like whistling in the dark.

4. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

It was a stupid concept to begin with. Anybody with half a brain knew it would fail.

The concept of liberal talk show hosts isn't inherently stupid, but the format and business plan of air america sure was.

5. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I hope to God that Air America is still on the air. I listen to "Unfiltered" on the 'net, and I greatly enjoy that show.