Aimless yammering

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Yai-Yai, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Yai-Yai

Yai-Yai Member

Well seeing as I’ve had an account on this forum for about 8 months and have ceased to do much with it i thought this might be a lovely place to start.

Hi my name is Yai, I’m 22 years old and i hail originally from New Zealand. I moved to the UK about 8 months ago and have mostly been residing in Oxford, while travelling to various locals and doing certain deeds. My most recent trip was to Glastonbury where i spent a lot of time introspecting and being with me which was just what the spirit ordered. There have been many ups and downs since i moved here, involving both work and play but there has been time and space for a lot of growth. I came to England with the hopes of studying contemporary music, with a dream of one day forming a spiritually focussed Prog/Tech/Psychedelic Metal come hard rock band, but as of today that may not be possible, as im not eligible for any funding assistance from the UK govt even as a citizen. Drag man.

So now I’m revaluating my options, watch this space as there may be some BIG changes. I’m currently toying with a couple seasons as a guide, a little travel then study as a Yoga teacher as I’m feeling I’m at the crossroads where i get to decide between mundane life and a more spiritually holistic focussed one a little earlier than expected.

On that note a bit about me spiritually, Ive been a Hatha Yoga practitioner for about a year and a half now and love it, most recently undertaking Ashtanga classes that i have enjoyed dearly. I’m a vegetarian for Spiritual reasons for a little over a year... About 18 months i think, and I’m strongly influenced by Eastern thought and have felt quite a strong pull toward Vedic teachings which i want to explore in the next few years quite deeply. I’ve avoided asking some questions on the Hindu forum before I’ve read more deeply into the different schools, but I’m probably just going to start asking as people here seem very friendly.
    So yeah thats me in a nut shell. Hope you enjoy my trails.

Namaste.

2. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

Awesome. That sounds like quite an interesting background. I definitely look forward to cross paths with you.

Psychedelic Metal. That'd be pretty sweet. I'll give you that. Do you play guitar or something...?

3. Yai-Yai

Yai-Yai Member

Yeah, mainly 7 strings at the moment and mainly electric. I also write a lot and have turned many a yarn into lyrics... never had much chance back home to put them into originals with the various bands i attempted to start but yeah thats my musical side... ive been playing various instruments since i was 6 i think.

Namaste

4. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

Not bad. Music is always a good pursuit. I wish you luck in your further ventures :)

5. Yai-Yai

Yai-Yai Member

Thanks, who knows if i will be able to persue it. The whole lack of funding by the governement may halt things.

6. lithium

lithium frogboy

Welcome to the forums:cheers2:

You mentioned nut shells. What's your favourite kind of nut and why?

7. Yai-Yai

Yai-Yai Member

Humm... i want to say Hemp but thats a seed.

Cashew, because they are great food for on the go, a well ballanced protean and carbohydrate and they taste great in curries!
    Yes the Cashew is king!

8. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

I think you can keep going. All you need is love. And a guitar. ;)

Well. You do have a good taste in nuts. I'm not a huge nut fan but cashews are definitely pretty decent. :)

9. Yai-Yai

Yai-Yai Member

Thanks seth nuts are quite possibly one of the coolest foods in the world as far as im concerned.
    I have been doing some investigation over the last fiew days and have a crack team of experts working on this situation so it may come off.

If not i have a very cool Plan B:
    I will leave my dead end job in Oxford, go to europe and work summer theree. Return to pick up and sort out a whole lot of junk ive collected then travel to inda and nepal... eventually making it back home to NZ to do postgrad in Media Studies or Philosophy.

Im yet to see if funding is compleately impossible, but at present its looking very unliekly. I have been in contact with various education providers etc... not looking good.

Oh well guess we will see.

Lithium what YOUR favourite nut and why?

10. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

Yeah. That definitely sounds like it'd be pretty awesome. Do you speak any foreign languages?

11. Yai-Yai

Yai-Yai Member

I speak a little Dutch due to family connections, but not really.

I find hand gestures are the best method to cross language barriers... laughter too.

12. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

Yeah. Laughter is like the all-purpose language of all that is amazing :)

13. Yai-Yai

Yai-Yai Member

I found it the best way to communicate with the island kids i used to live with till i managed to pick up enough scraps to pull to gether a sentance in Gilbertese.

That was ages ago... when i was about 13.
    Who knows though i may get stuck in the east for long enough to pick up the rudiments of Hindu or something...

14. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

Yeah. I'm guessing that after spending a little while around the people, you'll begin to pick up some of the language and stuff like that. Though initially, it's probably going to be a bit confusing. I've never traveled though. I'm lame (though I hope to change that once I get out of the house).

15. Yai-Yai

Yai-Yai Member

Good luck man. Its an intense world out there... one thing ive learnt is that preconceptions are your worst enemy at enjoying places.

16. Yai-Yai

Yai-Yai Member

Well its offical. I shall be traveling and will eventually end up in New Zealand to do my masters degree at either Auckland or Vic uni.

So now comes a month and a bit of planning and sorting stuff out including a job for europe for a couple months, and vaccinations for India and Visa's as well as plain tickets and on top of that Uni applications.

Also i get to sell a whole bunch of crap YAY! I love getting rid of extranious crap!
    Role on the spartian existance.

Thought you all may want to know.
    Namaste