After high school...

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by *hannah*, Dec 30, 2004.

1. *hannah*

*hannah* Member

After high school, I am not exactly sure what I want to do but I have an idea. I was hoping that you ladies might be able to help me.
    What I want to do is volunteer to help people. Whether it is in my state of Ohio or somewhere else.
    Are there any organizations you may have volunteered for after you graduated? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Roses are Phree

Roses are Phree Member

You could try Peace Corps but it's a huge undertaking.

3. ThrftShopSweater

ThrftShopSweater Member

wow we have the same ambitions! i really want to do humanitarian work oversees...
    if you really wanna start somewhere i suggest Amnesty International. They are all over the place trying to protect human rights. Thats the one i definitely wanna work in.

http://www.amnesty.org/

4. *hannah*

*hannah* Member

Thank you. I'll check that out. It's hard to decide what to do and then find where to start.

5. ThrftShopSweater

ThrftShopSweater Member

yeah, the volunteer things are very hard to determine what is good and what isnt..i still really dont know how im gonna jump in, i just know i want to

6. lynsey

lynsey Banned

you have to have a BA for the peace corps try www.americorps.org we have the opportunity to sign up with them through work, since I cut my hours down I no longer qualiffy but if you work enough hours they will pay off student loans or give you money for school.

7. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

um, I volunteer at the women's center at my univ and at this Fringe Festival thing each summer (for like, the past 5 years or so)... the fringe is nice because I get to see live shows/plays for free because I volunteer (not why I do it, but it's fun)

Habitat for Humanity is one that I've been interested in getting into to help out with, though I don't have any real building skills. They're a very very good cause to help out.

8. Disconformitized

Disconformitized Member

Part of me is in the same boat... Except I'll be finishing my time at my county college and dont know what to do afterwards. Any 4 year Uni seems like a waste of time and money to me. I want to avoid acumualting debt at all costs.

So I've been contemplating volunteer work, but I aint sure If I want to work with people. Like helping disabled or needy person might just make my guilt trip overwhelming... Which is why I've recently started thinking about joining a conservationist volunteer group, probably in australia. Currently I'm in nj but I dont think I could live with myself offering my energy to ingrateful americans, It'd feel like such a waste.

So I figure australia because they still speak english (or close to it) so i wouldnt be lost among the peeps. and I'm guess because it's so far from the rest of the modern world that everyones naturally laid back. What really turns me on is seeing australian wilderness, like instead of a ugly plain squirl I'll see duck billed platypuses climbing trees. I would feel a lot more worthful commiting my time to helping the evironment than a person that doesnt even recognize me going out of my way.

9. David54

David54 Member

Why wait until you're done with HS? There are plenty of things that you can get involved in right now. Where in Ohio do you live? What kind of things are you interested in doing?

Oh, and fuck you too, Disconformitized

10. paix

paix Senior Member

there's a great program called the conservation corps, they have a summer program in Hawaii that a friend of mine, and now me are thinking of doing it.

they have them all over the US and all year round though, check out the site http://www.nascc.org/corpslist.htm

11. Cornflakes

Cornflakes Member

I think the peace corp is unlikely to accept anyone just out of highschool.... they have a very harsh admissions policy, in fact most people out of college get rejected from their admissions office

try your local Amesty International chapter

12. Dustystar

Dustystar Member

I'm from Ohio too, graduating from High School this year! Where in Ohio do ya live? I'm going to college and studying education. College is always a good option, I was steared in that direction b/c ppl. told me that I could reach more ppl. and do more good with a college degree.

13. anastasia

anastasia Member

volunteer for a battered womens shelter- i did ym service hours here for my life skills class and i just felt like i was helping such a worthy cause