After Earth

Discussion in 'New Movies' started by Shale, May 31, 2013.

1. Shale

Shale ~

After Earth
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    May 31, 2013

This movie was fairly panned by the aggregate reviews on Rottentomatoes with only 13% of reviewers liking it. I have read their complaints have seen them onscreen and have to agree with them. However 82% of audiences did like it, perhaps as I do, take it for what it is and are not too critical.

For a summer blockbuster, the CGI creatures were not the best (How about that tiger in Life of Pi?) That was a bit distracting but the scenery was nice on this alien earth, which had some of the most pristine natural landscapes.

The story is how humans trashed the earth like we are doing now, to the point that it was uninhabitable. So humans loaded the biggest rockets and set off for another planet that would sustain them. This is a thousand years later and the humans are still fighting some indigenous life forms (monsters) on that planet that are blind except for detecting the pheromones released by humans in fear.

Cypher Raige (Will Smith) is a ranger who has somehow conquered fear and thus is invisible to the monsters. This special skill is called "ghosting" and he has risen in rank to General. He is strictly military, stern, no nonsense and away from home a lot. His son, Kitai (Jaden Smith) is trying to emulate his fathers success but has recently washed out of Ranger training.

Cypher realizes his neglect to his family and is about to retire. His wife Faia (Sophie Okonedo) tells him about the turmoil in their son's life and Cypher takes him on a mission with him, transporting one of the monsters in a cage for off world training.

If you watched the trailers you know the spaceship crashes on this forbidden planet Earth, where over the last millennium all the predators got upgraded. Cypher and Kitai are the only survivors and the ship broke up on entry so the tail section where their homing beacon to give a distress call is miles away from where they are. Cypher had a badly broken leg, so Kitai must retrieve the beacon.

Cypher & Kitai After Crash
    [​IMG]

Of course this is futuristic sci-fi so they have all the devices so Cypher can instruct his son on staying alive in this hostile place and also monitor him and the things tracking him and give him warning.

Injured Cypher at Controls
    [​IMG]

The rest of this movie is Kitai's adventure staying alive in this hostile environment, fighting huge flying raptors, big cats, a troop of baboons while encumbered by the increased gravity of the planet and it's lack of oxygen for which he takes supplements and the rapid climate changes.

Kitai On Mission in Snow
    [​IMG]

And of course there is the escaped alien monster which tracks him by fear.

Kitai Faces His Fear
    [​IMG]

The movie has its flaws but can be enjoyable for those who sit back and enjoy it despite that. It might be considered more of a family oriented sci-fi movie, since Jaden Smith is the lead actor. Will just sat around lapsing in and out of consciousness from his bleeding broken leg and much of the time Kitai was on his own and Jaden pretty much owned it.

2. Having read the worst reviews about this film, I went into the cinema expecting to be bored and annoyed by what they are calling a disaster and a flop. However, even though I sincerely do not expect anything great from Shyamalan at this point, I found it a bit hard to believe that Will Smith would fall so low, so suddenly and make a very bad movie. I wanted to decide for myself and I am glad I did.

The film was quite enjoyable, it had a fair amount of action and emotion, balancing the two quite well. It is by no means a great movie, the likes of which we're used to expect from Will Smith, but this is not his movie, it's Jayden's and it's not a bad one for the younger Smith. Of course, he's not too mature as an actor, but if you don't expect too much from him and the whole thing, you don't get disappointed.

I believe the whole bad feedback about this movie comes from the fact that it was directed by Shyamalan and that Smith senior was not the main star. If you get past the fact that Shyamalan's previous offerings were simply horrible and alleviate the pressure of performing as a blockbuster, you'll find that this was actually a decent movie. I would rate it 7 out of 10, but because I feel so many people out there have been unfair to it, I will give it a full 10, just for the heck of it.

3. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member

After reading the reviews I told all of my friends just wait until it comes out on DVD :(

hotwater

4. Death

Death Grim Reaper

I liked this movie. Their accents are horrible and it is very emotional. There is a lot of action and the effects are pretty cool. I would recommend it to anyone who likes scifi. The monster thing was rather unrealistic though.

5. doc1

doc1 Guest

i liked it too its a fairly good show.

6. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

"Anyone who likes sci-fi" includes hardcore fans. Hardcore fans do not like unrealistic.

7. Death

Death Grim Reaper

I don't know, tell that to all these fans of japaname stuff and comic book hero movies. They can be downright ridiculous, and these people come up to me talking about Gokus and wolverines and shit like i actually know what one of those is.. when I tell them I have no idea what they're talking about you would think they just shit themselves. When I tell them I'd rather watch a movie about Fukushima, they're like, "which comic book is that from?"

Also, thank you kind mod that incorporated my thread into this post.. I swear I searched for it first before I made my own thread.

8. Shale

Shale ~

:2thumbsup: