African Music

Discussion in 'Music' started by White Scorpion, Apr 6, 2007.

1. White Scorpion

White Scorpion 4umotographer

This is my sort of thing. I like to listen to music from all different parts of the world. Find that it relaxes me better than a cup of tea.

My favourite album at the moment is "Segu Blue" featuring Bassekou Kouyate and Ngoni ba. The rhythm, tempo and wonderful voice of Ami Sacko transferred me across the Serengetti on a warm holiday.

Although music from other cultures is not everyone's scene, I think most people who listen to this album will be pleased. It's the best of its genre.

2. rainbowedskylover

rainbowedskylover Senior Member

I know there is a lot of great african music around, but it is so unknown to me that I don't know where to start looking for it.

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Most of the stuff I've heard I didn't really dig. Like Orchestra Baobab for example. It's alright but it didn't blew me away.

4. White Scorpion

I'm not a great expert either. That's why I think it's important to wait until you hear a good review before trying out this kind of music. The reason I say that is that if you listen to something that is "run of the mill" rather than a good sample, then it is highly likely it will put you off. That is why most people miss out on a vast range of music and art that they would never have thought appealing. If you get the chance to listen to the album I mentioned, try and give it a go. Very good musicians.

5. rainbowedskylover

rainbowedskylover Senior Member

you're right, people often dissmiss a broad range of all kinds of things because they don't dig their first encounter with it

6. White Scorpion

It's a pity. I don't know my music as well as those who are really crazy about it, that is why I tend to listen to their recomendations. Although I like mainstream as well, I find that listening to music from other cultures awakens inspiration, energy, and optimism in me.

7. jacobfredjo

jacobfredjo Senior Member

i love afrobeat (nigeria, central africa, etc). Its like a mix of reggae, funk and jazz.

Fela Kuti is a good one for starters. Or ANY afrobeat project (chicago is a good modern day one that tours all the time around the midwest. They totally kick ass, not your ttraditional afrobeat bc they jam around a lot. But awesome stuff)

If you like any kind of world music (i also love world music im glad more people around here do as well) you should check out fela kuti. He is basically a martin luther king jr of nigeria but hes a badass musician. The government assasinated him for getting too powerful.

8. White Scorpion

Nice one JacobFredJo, I will check them out. I find African music uplifting, and relaxing beyond description. I will try and find some of Fela Kuti's music over the weekend. Thanks for the recommendations:)