African Bedroom

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Sunburst, May 29, 2004.

1. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

I was recently at the African Trading store in my mall, and bought a couple of trinkets. It's sad cuz it's closing down today, but I decided I wanted to make my bedroom an African theme! Think: Mosquito netting, browns/greens/earth colors, wooden furniture, etc. Not like a like rich African room, more like staying-it-a-African-hut-for-a-week type of thing...

Now, anyone got any helpful ideas for decorations?

2. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Mosquito netting would be real easy to make...but I'm not the one to ask how to do such a thing!lol I'd say get a lot of plants, maybe some potted trees, as well. A little waterfall thingy, animal print pillows...

3. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Oh oh.... My mom got some tribe carving masks when she went african themed. They looked pretty cool. Also some prints of jaguars looks nice.

4. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

I like the idea :)

5. Edward G.

Edward G. Edwardson

oo, I'd love to do these kindsa things if I had a bedroom. :p one day when I have one I shall do this.... :D *writes it down* oh yeah, to put around the room, maybe like for a curtain you could make some out of colorful prints that strike you as African, um... maybe some wooden bowls (not pipes lol the other kind, for eating) on dressers or desks or whatever, ya know, lil stuff like that.. umm... what else.... oh yeah, take some long grass and braid it then wrap it around something like a bed post, yeah, do that for your bed posts... or something... :)

6. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

Oooh good ideas:D

I bought an African clay bowl, candle, candle holder, and notebook made entirely of bark (even the pages are made of crushed and moulded leaves!). I love them:)

7. Edward G.

Edward G. Edwardson

Ooo that book sounds so cool! :) Now I want one.... hehe :D

8. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

Hey, I have a question: Does bamboo grow in Africa anywhere? Me, my parents, and my friends all do not know:p

There's so much bamboo kickass stuff I can make, but does it grow there? I've never heard of pandas in Africa, but still...

9. Becknudefck

Becknudefck Senior Member

you can get a mosquito net and bed bath and beyong. the one i got was only 40, but the nice ones are as much as 70. i took mine down though, covered up my posters.

10. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

I think you prolly could just make a mosquito net out of some gauzy material. It would be so much cheaper! If you want to make something out of bamboo, go for it! Are you going to have someone in your room saying ," Hey, that doesn't fit into the African motif!"

11. granola.kiss

granola.kiss Member

Just as I was reading through the posts, before you mentioned bamboo, I was thinking how cool that would be. There are places you can buy real bamboo. Then you could get a long wooden planter & put the bamboo in it to stick up for a wall or screen. I don't know how you'd do that though...maybe you could get some lumber & drill holes. Also, Pier 1 & lots of other places sell all styles of bamboo mats for really cheap!

A water feature would be cool too--maybe a small indoor pond or fountain?

Good luck!

peace
    cortnee

12. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

Great idea! I made a bamboo headboard this week I'll have a pic soon. It's nothing fancy, but I love it:)

13. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

sounds like a nice idea :)

start collecting tribal masks and cover the floor with sand ;)

14. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

You don't happen to have an Earthbound Trading store anywhere in your region, do you? If so, check them out for various decorations, they're great and smaller things aren't too expensive. You could buy a wooden windchime perhaps to hang on your door? And if you want to go as far as painting your walls, earthy tones with maybe a tribal sort of border would look good. And definitely don't spend anywhere near $40 on a mosquito net, you can get them for about $15 at a lot of places (sold as "bed canopies") or you could make your own. I own two (both bought from Hot Topic, I think. My Emily the Strange themed one for like $5 on clearance and the other one for maybe $15). They definitely don't last forever, though, and be sure to reinforce the hole in the ceiling that you have your hook in because they fall down easily. They're really neat, though, and they look really cool. It makes me want to hang my Emily one back up, lol.

15. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

only in the wet part. but bamboo is a big fat grass & lots of huts have leaf/grass thatch.

look for mud cloth too, African batik. great stuff and a sturdy cloth.