African American

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Nalencer, May 8, 2007.

1. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

I have too. especially when I had long hair. they profile you by the way you look, its not only by race. although, race does have a huge factor

2. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

Oh my GOD!

:lol:

3. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

[​IMG]

4. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Yeah, I agree with you... ethnicity can be something beautiful, and so on and on.

Buuuuuut... the problem in the US is that it plays such a major role in the way people are treated and categorised. People are first seen as "African American" and then seen as Joe or Jack or Bubba or whatever, ya know?

That's my problem with it.

5. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Blah, blah, blah...... every person that's in America legaly, citizen or not, pays taxes and directly contributes to the economy.

You need to grow up, tired of people hating on America? It's not like America is innocent.

6. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

well, there's HUGE difference between paying sales tax and paying income and property tax. if all i had to every pay was sales tax i'd be rich. and you have to confess, being federally mandated to provide an education for illegal children, crowding the classrooms, while your property taxes, federal taxes and state taxes that pay for it go up and up and up and your child's education goes down and down and down, that's gonna fucking chap your ass. i'm all for giving them the right to work here if 30%+ of their income is withheld, just like mine. but that's not happening. i know they're just doing what's best for their families, and it's commendable. but i have to do what's best for my family, too.

7. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I personally think that all the illegals should be kicked out of America. Some people break their asses to get here and stay here legally, while all they do is jump the boarder.

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

I pay lots of taxes myself.... taxes on my scholarships at school, high taxes if I work at school, and then ofcourse all the regular sales taxes, etc, etc.

8. Nalencer

Nalencer Dig Yourself

Bullshit. You just don't want to back down. Now that you know I actually am an an American citizen, the issue is whether I live there and pay taxes? That's fucking stupid. I can live wherever I damn well please and still say what I want about the country I was born in, and am a citizen of. Not that this is that serious of a discussion anyway, as far as an issue like that goes.

9. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

i had no doubt you do pay taxes, being here legally. but people not contributing while at the same time using the services, that ticks me the fuck off. i say give them the work visas and tax the hell out of them, too. people gotta work, people gotta support their families. i don't feel right treating people like criminals for doing things they need to do to survive, but i gotta take care of my own, too.

10. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

Being African American isn't considered a race in today's common language? Last time I checked race was a word to describe people/populations distinguished by different sets of characteristics, and beliefs about common ancestry. So in that case, I would defintely say being an African American is considered a "race"....

I suppose being called African American, in some situations, can be neither a race or an ethnic group. For example, I went to school with a "white" kid who lived in African until he came to college. He has dualcitizenships and considers himself to be an African American.

What I find funny about topics such as these, is how everybody groups Africa as basically one huge country. Africa has many different countries, some in which are very diversed from the stereotypical African nation.

I think calling black American born people African Americans is silly. I don't ask to be called European, because I do not live in Europe, even though that's where my heritage stems from. In fact, I've never actually met a black person who wants to be called African American. If one wants to be known by where their past ancestors lived, whatev. I'll respect their wishes as best as possible.

Oh and secondly, I never said there weren't Asians Americans, Italian Americans, Mexican Americans, etc, so I would LOVE to know what I am wrong about?

11. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

i just call everyone bub if they dont' introduce themselves

12. antithesis

antithesis Hello

lol, me too, being a smart ass on here is awesome!

I think we probably will fuck until we're all the same color... unless we die in a nuclear holocaust of course.

I still love your point though... I still maintain that it is moronic to say what someone should or shouldn't be called. If someone who is black wants to be called an African American so be it... if not, so be that as well. What's the difference?

Let everyone call themselves what they want to be called.

I love it when people have a problem with something that doesn't even really effect them. I do it as well, but it is still silly.

13. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

ok I rested my case.

14. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

While you're probably right there will be some ethnic groups who will reluctantly hang on to their own uniqueness for centuries.

That is until they realize the importance of genetic diversity when their gene pool begins to suffer catastrophic degradation [​IMG]

Hotwater

15. kjhippielove88

kjhippielove88 color + rhyme

aint that the truth

the very first post of this thread is just amusing as well as some of the replies to it.

anyway
    i prefer the term african american as opposed to black or anything else

16. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

I was wondering when you were going to weigh in... Now if we can get UrbanGal to come in here and behead a few of these fools, we can return to our regularly scheduled randomness...

17. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

this thread is still going on? lol that is amusing

18. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

It's a shame that we only have a few token black people on board :D

19. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Maaaan that shit is wack!

20. kjhippielove88

kjhippielove88 color + rhyme

i think its a shame these type of threads are reoccurring...
    someone is always bitching and moaning about the term african american and then theres that thread that someone makes every february about the problem(s) with black history month..and then theres always my favorites about "black people call each other the n word like its no big deal but when i say it i get called racist" boo fucking hoo is all i have to say