African American

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Nalencer, May 8, 2007.

1. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I think this is the smartest thing that anyone has said on here so far.

2. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I'm not trashing on Madcrappie because he's an American, I'm trashin' on him because of the ignorance of what he said, that's the major difference. I couldn't care if he was Cambodian, saying something like that is still completely ignorant.

Should I go around the forum telling every American that talks about any politics, issues, or concerns outside the US that they have no right to tell these countries and these people how to live because they are American and not local?

Honestly.

3. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

Thank you! I'm not a real smartass, but I do play on on the internet.

But seriously folks, I made fun of this thread earlier because it's completely ludicrous (and I don't mean the rapper). Pavel is correct, skin color means bopkess. I say we should fuck until we're all the same color.

4. Nalencer

Nalencer Dig Yourself

The very fact that you have to ask my skin color to see if it's acceptable for me to say something is suspect. Second, I'm just trying to have a discussion. I'm not trying to tell anyone to call anyone anything that they don't want to.

Also, black people are just like you and me. Just a different skin color. There are black people who prefer to be called African Americans, black people who want to be called black, and black people who don't care what they're called. And any other combination you can think of. People seem to mistake what's politically correct as what an entire group of people have decided to be called, when no such thing has happened. The term African American is mostly a term invented by white people to refer to black people without sounding racist. They're the ones putting the amphasis on race, while the subjects of their deliberation, for the most part, don't even care.

5. fexurbis

fexurbis Member

No, they are called Afro-brazilians, afro-cubans, etc. The first term refers to ethnic origin, the second refers to citizenship. Much like Italian Americans, or Italo-Argentinians.

As pointed out by other posters, those are also of African background.

Yes, but those whites are of recent settler background, and their historic origin is from Europe as we know. There are also black people in Italy, that doesn't mean that the term Italian American could be applied to black americans.

I think it's as good as any other term. Racial, ethnic denominations are arbitrary, see?

6. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

African American's are the only the race where the name of the race is politically incorrect. Look at every person born in the USA. Wouldn't they, including myself, be considered Native Americans, even though I share no ties to the race of the "Native Americans" aka Indians?

I just say "Hey you..."

7. fexurbis

fexurbis Member

Yes, but racial oppression is not. Yet another unarmed black man was shot 50 times by police in the New York metropolitan area, not too long ago.

That being said, I agree with you that political correctedness does not help in any way.

I just find it baffling that whites so readily accept the term Italian American, and see so much fault with African American.

Most Italian Americans haven't been to Italy either. It simply refers to their ethnic origin.

8. fexurbis

fexurbis Member

African American is not a race. It is an ethnic group.

"Race" is a discredited concept from the 19th century. Today, it is pretty well-accepted that "race" is a social invention, not a genetic reality.

Secondarily, you're wrong. There are Asian Americans, Italian Americans, Mexican Americans, etc.

9. fexurbis

fexurbis Member

Again, African American is not a skin color, it is an ethnic/historic denomination.

I don't think people should be viewed primarily through the lens of ethnic backgrounds, but I also think the color-blind ideology is silly.

There is difference among people! Cultural, socio-economic and otherwise! Pretending it doesn't exist does nothing to either get people closer together, NOR does it address prejudice and discrimination.

If anyone is curious, I am of African background, though not an American citizen.

10. Posthumous

Posthumous Resident Smartass

Having been granted the right of free speech, I don't give a shit what the consenus may be for what anything should or shouldn't be named, as I will be the one to bear the consequences of my speech. If I stick a feather in my hat and call it macaroni, that's my fucking business, and if you don't like it: :rmoon2:

11. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Being segregated and labelled by ethnicity is just as stupid as doing the same thing by skin colour.

You mentioned Italiam Americans, that's just as stupid as "African American" or so on and forth.

The colour-blind ideology is what it is, an ideology. I myself tend to see people as people, not as niggers, kikes, crackers, wetbacks, and bearded koran reading terrorists.

You can classify them however you want, and make up excuses for it such as "it's not colour, it's ethnicity"... it's still completely useless and idiotic classification which only contributes to blind aknowledgment of superficial meaningless differences, not the elimination of such.

12. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Well you know what????? I want some mutha fuckin puddin. Some mutha fuckin chocolate and vanilla mixed mutha fuckin puddin. And if I wasn't as mutha fuckin drunk as I am now........I would try and come up with a more intelligent answer to what has been goin on in this thread. But ya know what? I don't give a flyin mutha fuckin fuck what anyone wishes to be called for whatever mutha fuckin reason....I'll call you what I mutha fuckin well please because THAT IS THE MUTHA FUCKIN AMERICAN WAY and too many people are tryin to forget that "politacal correctness" could mean a mutha fuckin flyin fuck less to me

PEASE

mutha fucka

13. Nalencer

Nalencer Dig Yourself

For some reason I believe you're drunk.

14. fexurbis

fexurbis Member

Is it superficial and meaningless that my great-great-grandmother, Belmira, spent most of her life in a slave farm in Brazil? Or that you're jewish and have the right to return to Israel? Or that I have a greater likelyhood of being stopped by police than most whites?

I'm not suggesting that we segregate people, nor am I suggesting that people be denied their individuality. Yes, people are people. And yet, people share certain historical and cultural commonalities with some and not with others. That is a difference, not a deficit. And differences do not imply segregation or prejudice. Differences can actually be appreciated.

But I AM saying that groups of people have similar historical, socio-economic, and cultural similarities which they might not share with other groups (other historical and cultural characteristics), and denying that does nothing to develop a further appreciation of their humanity.

To me, denying ethnicity is tantamount to denying class. You can say, "oh, poor people and rich people are just people..." Yeah??? NO SHIT! A platitude if I ever heard one.

The fact that a rich guy and a poor guy are people, has no bearing on the fact that that are still very real differences between them. Commonality and differences, we all have those as human beings. Both should be acknowledged and accepted.

15. texasmade3

texasmade3 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

letlovintakehold, I'm drunk too! wooooohoooooo

16. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Say whatever the mutha fuck you please....But I have been harrassed more by the police than anyone I know...Including those of many races. So I feel just about as much pity for any race as I do a big pile of dog shit. Not to sound like a bastard....but it's the drunkin truth

17. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

oh IM ignorant for telling someone WHO isnt american for telling americans how they should label someone. ok.

do I give two shits what people in india, canada, england, and whoever else do? NO.

why do people from other countries always have to bring their big heads in and talk shit about americans?? thats what I dont get.

label me a redneck, I dont give a fuck. Im so far from a redneck which you dont even imagine. IM just sick and tired of people hating on america who dont even live here. and canadian people have no clue. and you on the other hand, never lived here all your life?? I dont know much about you if you are a citizen or whatnot........ but people that dont pay taxes here really have no room to talk.

18. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

do you pay taxes?? and do you live in the US as of this moment. if you can answer yes to both of these questions, then go right ahead.

19. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

thats what Ive been saying. its the black people who want to call themselves african american, because hell, they all trace their roots back to africa. so, I guess people can shit on them for calling themselves that??? especially those that dont live in the US?? I dont get that.

20. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Settle down, Beavis.