African American

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Nalencer, May 8, 2007.

1. Nalencer

Nalencer Dig Yourself

This is one of the most moronic terms used in our culture. I will now present three reason why the term "African American" is an incorrect and just plain stupid term.

1. Not all black people are American. There are black people in England, etc. Are they still African Americans?

2. Not all black people come from Africa. What about Jamaica, Haiti, and all the other Caribbean nations?

3. Not everyone from Africa is black. There are a lot of white Africans, as you must know.

So, how can the term "African American" be considered to good way of referring to black people?

2. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

You could always use "******".

3. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

umm most blacks in america trace their roots back to africa. and I remember back in the 90s where they all adopted the african culture as far as their fashion was concerned.

thats the way they want to be labelled.

4. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

and what you said on number one is just silly. no one said you should call all blacks african american....... just here in the US, where political correctness is key, thats where it is used the most. but, youre canadian, so I guess you have an excuse.

in statement number 2 you mention haiti, cuba, etc...... well all those "black" people down there originally came from africa through slave trade as well..... so I dont see what your argument really is???

5. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I've never been to Europe, but I somehow doubt that the black people there are called African Americans

All black people are thought to have derived from Africa. I may be wrong, but Bob Marley was obviously Jamacan but he claimed Africa as the "Homeland" if you will.

That being said....I also think that the term is friggin silly. Maybe if you are from Africa, or even if your parents were from Africa. But honestly, how many of these "African Americans" have ever even contemplated going to Africa.

6. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

exactly. white people are known as caucasians....... and thats where all the "white" people originated..... around the caucaus mountains ...

black people originated in africa. it is their homeland, and most blacks always go back to their roots.

7. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

:beatdeath:

8. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

are you trying to beat a dead horse again?

9. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

If I want to be called a "Purple Nurple" you'll damn well call me a Purple Nurple because this is America and I have rights!!!

I agree, all people of color on earth should take a vote and decide what they should collectively be called, because it's important to label EVERYONE and be able to quickly identify what ethnicity they are.:rolleyes:

10. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

Yeah, sorry I'll do this

:leaving:

now....

I just have a horse fetish.

11. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

a dead horse fetish? Wow, I thought I've seen everything:horseshit

12. rebelfight420

rebelfight420 Banned

I want my race to be known as "GERMANIC AMERICAN WITH A LITLLE BIT OF CELTIC" anyone who doesnt use those exact words is a racist!

13. Zoomie

Take Their Heads!!!

14. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Regardless of what you think it's certainly more appropriate then some other more colorful terms we've been called over the years :H

Hotwater

15. Zoomie

Can't disagree with that.

16. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

Hotwater

17. Posthumous

Posthumous Resident Smartass

I will only use Black. I'm too lazy to use more than two syllables to describe anybody.

18. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

You're fucking crazy! Why would people in other countries call their citizens african americans when they aren't in fucking america?
    I'll call people whatever they want to be called. It's no extra work for me.

19. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

the original poster was trying to prove a point I guess, but he failed. I blame his canadian roots.

20. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

I will just call every one hot pants and be done with it.