Advice on Cancun?

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Brad2571, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Brad2571

Brad2571 Member

I'm going to Cancun for the first time next month. Anyone have any advice or experiences. I'm staying downtown in a hostel, not on the island. Hopefully that will be safe. Also, is there anywhere near there that is worth checking out.

2. funtimefun

funtimefun Banned

Im me at royalresor2.I've been 20 or so times spent about 1 and half months there last year.My family is there right now actually.

3. dhs

dhs Senior Member

dont drink the water would be my advice

4. hippiecomeflores

hippiecomeflores Member

try to see all the mayan riviera its just gorgeous!!!!!!!!!

5. Brad2571

Brad2571 Member

That sounds good. What part of Mexico are you from? Do you know about the encuentro near Vera Cruz?

6. Vetty214

Vetty214 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

test message

7. yonosoymedico

yonosoymedico Member

I advise, dont go there... if you have to go to cancun, catch a bus and go down to playa del carmen, tulum... anything...youre gonna be safe regardless dont be silly, just dont get caught smokin herb on the beach..and have the best time of your life..but honestly cancun is an idealized american utopia(like disney world) and you will probably hate it, if youre anything like other folks on the hipforums... go find some good kids, the tourists are not what id want to spend my time with
    if you want a cultural lesson, go into the part of cancun where the actual workers live..they live in horrible conditions, usually without roofs, or running water... see how the dichtomized lifestyles make you feel....
    youll run away quickly
    but honestly, cancun sucks..
    visit the REAL mexico(ie, almost anywhere else)
    love and light
    Adam

8. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

if you eat lobster or anything that may be undercooked make sure to follow the meal with tequilla to kill any bacteria you may have ingested.............................. or you will be sick for days!

9. yonosoymedico

yonosoymedico Member

haha, while in foreign countries esp...but in general,, id just say its WAY safer to go vegetarian... even if youre a big meat eater, its just easier...

10. kayte

kayte Member

i really enjoyed cozumel, which is a boat ride away from playa del carmen.

11. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

my sweetie lived in Playa del Carmen for a winter (1991) & really speaks highly of the Santa Fe campground, hoping it is being rebuilt after Stan & Rita.
    I hear PdC is getting touristaed out however.

12. the6peace8keeper

the6peace8keeper Born Again Satanist

Type in playa azul mexico in google, its a very small semi primative place on the beach approx 200 kilometers west of alacop..or however you spell it. Ive a small place there and its great, if you want to see the real mexico with very nice people it might be worth looking into.

13. Gixer

Gixer Member

Please make time to visit chichen Itza, tulum and isla mujeries. The mexican people are some of the frendliest people I have ever met, and we were invited into their homes and hearts on every occasion we have been. Cancun is a metropolis, high rise modern hotels and chain resteraunts. It is a purpose built tourist destination, so make sure if you use the place as a base that you get out and experience some real culture and history. I found Cancun to fine, but I knew what to expect, we just used it as a place to dump our luggage, shower and sleep. I have always felt safe, and never had a problem wandering about late at night or using the peso bus.
    The only thing that spoils the place is people called Hank sitting in a hot tub smoking cuban cigars and drinking margaritas and being lound mouthed and rude to all the locals. But then again thats the type of people the place was built to attract in the first place.

14. WharfRat

WharfRat Member

like america in mexico, nice weather/beachs, chichen itza was awesome but there are hundreds of locals selling stuff there which kind of takes away from the experience but still beautiful

15. *josai*

*josai* Member

my thoughts exactly! it reminded me of a spanish-speaking panama city!
    the beaches & water were much more beautiful though, it was just VERY touristy. but if you're on your own & not wrapped into some hotel deal, then you could explore elsewhere nearby....lots of buses to ride!

16. Rigamarole

Rigamarole Senior Member

Who's from Mexico? I seem to have missed that.

Anyway what's the encuentro? I lived in Xalapa (in the state of Veracruz) for 6 months but I never heard of it.