Administration wants to define transgender out of existence

Discussion in 'Transexual and Transgender' started by KathyL, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

The funny thing is, I think Irminsul is a Feminem name but in all honesty the Irminsul is a phallic object of masculinity. :p but I really do think it's a beautiful name for a girl, and also my next dog. :)

2. Now I think it's a girl and a dog.

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

And my avatar is two woman holding up the Irminsul lol so that is probably just as confusing to some people who know me too LOL. Also when folks call me Irm, they're actually referring to Wotan/Odin in the same sense that Yggdrasil is the Norse equivalent to the Saxon Irminsul and that Oden was also called Ygg. :)

I identify as a femme lesbian, although currently I believe my sexuality is highly questionable. I don't consider myself bi-curious, but just "curious". Actually I've thought that for much of my life. I've always said it too, had I not met my partner, I probably wouldn't have been into girls, but partnership, trust, friendship and adoration = love. As our rings say in runic script "with heartfelt adoration" is basically saying, I don't care what you are, I Iove you. That's even akin to pansexual I think.

Like I also said, I consider myself a Tomboy of sorts. My father uses the term "butch" though I have corrected him with this as in our social structure "butch" is referred to as thicker woman with short hair, I've never liked the term myself. Tomboy I guess is good enough, but I don't consider myself a boy, although I believe my ovaries are bigger than most men testicles. ;)

:p

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    scratcho likes this.
  4. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

An injustice anywhere is a threat to Justice everywhere......

We gotta vote these people out.

Snowdancer and scratcho like this.
  5. deleted

deleted Visitor

5 story building here. all rest rooms are unisex. tenants come and go/no pun intended. but there have been transpersons working here aside from myself that is tv-male/ differences in transpersons as some them simply are men with fetishes. Dont have rights to female dressing/restrooms specifically // unisex where everyone agrees whatever floats your boat in a relaxed safe environment, club or workplace ect .. There's not going to be anyone here making a scene to use the restroom or freaking out who is in the restroom ... Asides the other 10 buildings in this complex, one has the radio stations. You know how many self expressive people pass thru those doors every week?

6. KathyL

KathyL Super Moderator Super Moderator

Getting back to the topic, after several pages of ignorant cisgender bullshit, I am not a man. I have never been a man. And no politician or Trumpfuehrer has the right to tell me that I am a man, which is what this proposed legislation does.

Quoting pages of crap from a dumb-ass sociology textbook proves nothing. The author is saying that biologists must be wrong because their conclusions don't fit with their precious ideology. The lack of intellectual integrity is astounding. The conclusions of biologists are based on evidence. The conclusions of sociology are based on opinion.

On the bathroom issue, every person has the right to not be assaulted, sexually or otherwise, or to be spied on in the bathroom. We already have laws outlawing common assault, sexual assault, and voyeurism. So, if all I do is go in, close the door, pee, wash my hands and leave, why is it anyone's business what is or isn't or was or wasn't in my pants? Trans people do not go into restrooms looking to cause trouble. We are the victims of trouble. We go in looking for a safe place to pee.

You (or your wife) are uncomfortable with that? Get over it. I am uncomfortable everywhere I go, wondering which ignorant maniac is going to attack me just for minding my own business. Welcome to the club.

7. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

This is false and you are misleading people.

[​IMG]

Now where is this "evidence" you speak of in biology of gender. I think your point was going to be about Gender Identity... :)

I'm interested, and I'm listening. But I don't take this lightly. You are accusing an entire discipline of being inaccurate or inadequate simply because you believe a certain way that doesn't jibe well with the documented fact. I'm not attacking your beliefs. Why are you attacking mine?

I believe that gender is very culturally based. Here in the United States we have different values, norms, and mores, and a completely different worldview than they have in New Delhi or Singapore or Kenya. Gender means all the things we experience that we attribute to the masculine or feminine. It's our gender norms that determine our gender identity.

I'm sorry, but you are going to need to quote your biology for us.

8. soulcompromise

Research Methods in Sociology - An Introduction ~ ReviseSociology

9. soulcompromise

10. soulcompromise

Here is what National Geographic says, which differs from saying only what is socially learned. I like this bit on gender because it talks about the biology that KathyL is suggesting, though she's seeming not to want to talk about it.

How science is helping us understand gender Way down the page it starts talking about "Gender is an amalgamation..." This is a great article for an in depth view on gender.

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Oh, yeah, and what biology would that be?

23 chromosome pair isnt the sex determining pair, thats a throw back from ideas nearly a century ago. its not the only pair dependant on sex determination

All mammals and marsupials work off a female template, male sex is then determined by a chemical process

Take out the SRY gene (on the 23rdpair) and Sox-9 gene and you can still get males developing in mammals, they have done these tests

the thousands of genes that have a role in sex determination act like rolling the dice in determining the probability of certain chemical processes starting, in humans about 6-8 weeks after conception

The short version: male is a chemical thing, not a genetic one. Doesnt really kind of exist but in our heads. Genitals are the same thing just a bunch of chemical chains determine if your clit turns into a cock, or your ovaries turn into nuts

No male aspects are passed between generations either

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Anyway, re read the thread, its always 95% guys that have a problem with this

13. soulcompromise

I think what I was saying is a little bit further down the line in terms of development; say like 3 years old. Initially I was saying gender is all the different factors that contribute to our understanding of what is male and what is female. The masculine and the feminine. I was saying that it is culturally and socially determinant. What the article says differs from that concept in that it takes chromosomes, psychology, and hormones into consideration, while still crediting the cultural and social aspects of gender determination or identity.

One of the first things I learned is that in science there is a firm distinction between one's sex (biological) and one's gender (as we've seen from the article both biologically and socially determined). The sociology textbook that I'm in the habit of quoting says that sex and gender are not one and the same, though the article from Nat Geo seems to suggest that biological sex (thus hormones, chromosomes) can influence gender identity as much as social aspects (culture upbringing).

Your post seems to suggest a "no gene for gender" sort of vibe. Is that what you meant? I'm not entirely sure I understand.

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

No gene for anything

15. soulcompromise

ok, so take my cholesterol for example. :)

I suspect, despite what my doctor says, that it's dietary and not hereditary. It does seem to run in the family. But we had the same diet for all the years I was growing up until around 20 when I starting eating on my own. Even then my diet didn't shift dramatically until more recently, and I'm now 38. What you're saying is that my cholesterol is really determined more by my diet and exercise, or other forces, but not genetics? I'd say you might be onto something!

16. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I was so confused!

I thought gender referred to biological differences and that sex referred to social and cultural differences.

Wow.

I've got to rewire that in my mind.

soulcompromise likes this.
  17. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

soulcompromise likes this.
  18. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

While that graph is integral to both methods of research, it's essentially irrelevant to what you quoted from KathyL.

While I wouldn't agree that sociology is merely "opinion", the type of research it involves is not as strict and rigorous in it's application of the scientific method as biologists. These two fields probably epitomize the dichotomy of "soft science" vs "hard science."

Edit: And I haven't been paying much attention to other posts in this thread, that graph basically caught my eye.

19. KathyL

KathyL Super Moderator Super Moderator

This does not fit with experience. How did gender norms determine my gender identity?

The viewpoints in public discourse divide this question into two camps: either (1) gender identity is biological and is the same as (or is definitively determined by) sex; or (2) gender identity is a choice. The reality is neither of these. The third possibility, the reality, is that gender identity is biological, but is independent of sex. Unfortunately, this viewpoint gets rejected by everyone except those with experience in the field.

Gender identity is most emphatically not a choice. I spent 60 frigging years trying to live by the gender identity that society determined was appropriate for me. I failed. It was not possible for me to live by that identity. And don't tell me I didn't try hard enough until you have tried something that wasn't workling for 60 years. It simply wasn't possible for me to make that choice. So I know from experience that it is not a choice.

And yet, my gender identity is definitely not determined by my sex. The two are opposite.

You can argue until you are blue in the face whether option (1) or option (2) is correct. The answer, whichever side you take, is that you are wrong.

20. soulcompromise

Here is one of the scientific method! :)

[​IMG]

Sociology is a science. It's not more or less of one. It's more like Anthropology than it is like Biology, and I think it shares lots of things in common with Psychology. Lots of people don't like the direction Sociology seems to prescribe lots of times and they will try to refute it. But the data is hard data. Qualitative AND Quantitative.

Here is what the American Sociological Association says sociology is:

What is Sociology?

But I think what keeps surfacing here is that sociology is one of the social sciences. Brittanica says
    I think that people prefer to hear that Physical science has the answers to questions about gender or sexuality or whatever else, but those answers come from more than one discipline. Biology doesn't study society or politics or economics which all play a significant role in socialization. The good news is that even if you loath sociology, psychology, anthropology, political science, and economics all do. That can help us understand innately what determines the composition of our identities respectively.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018