adding side panels

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by peacelovebarefeet, Jan 30, 2005.

1. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

could someone explain to me how to add side panels, in terms that a REALLY BIG non sewer would understand???? id like to add side panels (patchwork) to this pair of pants i have, but i keep messing up...

thanks so much !

loveeeeee

::edit:: here's the pants i want to add them to, its not a great picture, but oh well....

http://www.oldnavy.com/TagHTML/Tools/EnlargedImage.html?bigimage=/assets/product/big/ona250197-01b.jpgprodname=Women%27s%20Stretch%20Twill%20Pants&prodid=250197&asShownIn=Dark%20Chocolate

2. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

Well ... I do it a couple of different ways..

I will cut a slit all the way up the side of the pant...and cut out the seams...and then i will add my patchwork in..i angle it too...like an A shape..i usually only do that if the pants are too small..

or i will take out the entire seam w/ my seam ripper..only up to the waste band..and then add in my again A shaped patchwork..this one is tricky because u have to take away some of the fabric from the back side and possibly the front side...depending on how big the patchwork is...

do you know how to use a machine ? ? You can pm me and i can answer any questions u may have..

3. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

I cut out the entire side seam all the way up to and including the waistband. Then I sew the side panel in where the seam was. I fold the top over to fill in the waistband and hem the bottom to match the pants. I only do this with pants that are too small.

Hope this helps.