Acid reflux?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by CckBlocking, May 15, 2004.

1. CckBlocking

CckBlocking Member

In 21 years old and have been drinking since I started college a few years ago. I am not a heavy drinker at all, I get runk maybe once a month. Recently I've noticed that if I drink anything with alcohol in it, even a sip I get this pain in my chest. Its in the middle and goes from my throat to my stomache. My friend says this is acid refux, is this true? If it is, what can I do (besides stop drinking) that will make it go away before it gets worse.

2. FireQuint

FireQuint Member

I've had Acid Reflux for about 7 years now and I believe it's what's gonna kill me later down the road. In a few weeks they might be probing my esophogus to check for cancer. I have a bad feeling about it too.
    I even upchucked a few times from it. You need to get that shit checked out now. It could be something else, who knows. But it's not normal.

3. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Blaubeerkuchen!! Lifetime Supporter

there is a condition called refluxoesophagitis or somethinglike that. That means that the "gate" between the stomache and the oesophagus isn't able anymore to close completely. So when one eats or drings stuff that causes the stomache to produce a lot of acid (i.e. alcohol, fatty things, sweet stuff....) some of the acid just might be running back in the oesophagus, and damn that hurts.

Also without that condition a reflux can happen with the above mentioned substances. But you should go check wether you're in this condition or not. things that might help are milk, a spoon of baking soda diluted into a glass of water, or some stuff from the pharmacies. These things are bases and neutralize the acid.

4. sugarbear420

sugarbear420 Member

GERD = gastroesophageal reflux disease
    what happens?: solids and fluids return to the mouth from the stomach
    chronic exposure of the esophageal mucosa to gastric acid & pepsin (a proteolytic enzyme) causes reflux esophagitis.
    treatment?: acid-suppressive agents

i have GERD & it's definitely not pleasant. if you stay away from caffiene, chocolate, alcohol & greasy (fried) foods, it will help w/ the symptoms.

i used to be able to drink & now i can't. one night i drank 2 beers and the next morning i was puking.

5. MarkN

MarkN Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I had a bad attack of it in Oct. I couldn't shallow....well, I could be it hurt to bad to do it. So, I couldn't eat. Terrible back pain. Jaw pain. Some of the acid splashed up on my vocal cords so I lost my voice of a little while. The Docs put me on Prilocet. So far so good. I gave up the booze too. Because thats what started it.

6. KermodeBear

KermodeBear Member

I know that this is reviving an old thread, but there are a few aspects to GERD that haven't yet been mentioned:

For me, stress has been the most significant factor for how severe my problem is on a day to day basis. I am somebody who is highly psychosomatic. The way to combat this, of course, is to try to relax and avoid stressful situations when possible. Easier said than done. It may be helpful to seek a counselor or psychologist. If your body is having problems because of stress, then there are some issues that needs to be addressed as quickly as possible.

Another significant factor is being overweight, which I am. The extra weight presses onto your gut which helps force the acid upwards out of your stomach. The obvious solution is generally diet changes and exercise. (I take my dog Antoinovic for a mile long walk every night now; He gets to pee on everything and I get exercise; it's been helping a great deal. Also, instead of stopping at a fast food place like McDonald's for lunch, I'll stop at Subway or an Asian-style buffet, both of which have much healthier food.)

The doctor probably told you this, but for everyone else, alcohol can aggrevate GERD. Alcohol relaxes muscles, including the sphincter muscle at the top of your stomach that normally keeps everything inside. Once it is relaxed, it's easier for other stuff to slip through.

I was originally put on Nexium, which was truly a god-send; Later, I switched myself to Prilosec. It is not as powerful, but after I graduated from college my stress level went down and I didn't need a drug as strong as Nexium; Plus, it's a LOT less expensive! Now that I eat better, lost some weight, and do not have as much stress, I'm taking Prilosec about twice a week.

My problem will never go away completely, it is a chronic condition, but through some changes in the way I live I've minimized the problem to where it isn't a factor in my day to day life anymore. If I can do it, so can anyone else.

7. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

Yeah, I take Prilosec, everyday... It works great... :)

8. CckBlocking

CckBlocking Member

Thanks everyone for your help. I asked my doctor and he said it was acid reflux, but because I don't get it very bad right now he told me to just use over the counter stuff. But if it gets worse he'll put me on an Rx.

-CB