achievements and connecting with people

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Jaz Delorean, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Jaz Delorean

Jaz Delorean Senior Member

i was thinking today - there are two things you can seperate your attention in life towards, one is your achievements, and the other is connecting with the people you love and the people around you,
    by the end of your life, if you have spent it with your family and your friends, getting to know them and loving them, then you will end your life not feeling unsatisfied with what you have done, however if you spend it striving towards your achievements, you'll end your life thinking "man, i wish i could have spent another hour in the office...." (or something along those lines)
    if you are totally into one, you can't be into the other i think....
    that was just my thinking...any other thoughts? :p
    and which one are you?
    love Jaz

2. flowerchild17

flowerchild17 I practice safe sax.

Man, that was greatly said :) I never understood how people could try and fit into this "preplanned" life and have a steady job and the whole lot... I just figure, well, LIVE! Spend time with friends, love your family, love your friends, loves your enemies! I've always loved the theory of "live like you'll die tomorrow becuase tomorrow never knows" I mean just... LIVE DAMMIT! It bothers me how people spend life living in a box... I can't understand it. And there's no time for regret in this world, or like you said, youll keep saying "I wish this... I wish taht" blah blah blah! so meh, LIVE! :D

*blasts Queen adn plays air guitar*

ROCK ON!!! :D

3. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

Yeah man, that's exactly the way I see things working. The two can often conflict I think, and you do have to divide yourself between them. But your passion doesn't always have to be for an academic pursuit or a career. My hope is to make a difference, to really change the world somehow. And I'd like to do it with my friends and loved ones with me. Then I can really put my energy into making a difference....

4. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

Striving to acheive something doesnt always leave you wishing to be in the office. ..i strive to travel. I dont often spend time with my family and i dont have many friends to speak of, however i strive to travel and to see the world and to meet many people. When i die i hope to think "wow ... i took that oppertunity" .. though i probably woulnt...i'll probably be thinking "man i wished i'd cooked that better" whilst having my stomach pumped or something silly :S

5. mart_182

mart_182 Member

yeh i agree jaz, me and my lil bro (17) are totaly different, he wants his achievment stuff and i just want to do the living thing. its weird cuz when we were lil i wanted to have all the achievment stuff (i wanted to be a scientist for some reason) and he was the laid back one. now we're older its the total opposite, hes going to uni next year to study business (bleuuuurgh) and im the one that sits around with my friends wishing it was summer so we could go and sit in a park lol

6. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Balance. As with all things. You need to work to live. That's a fact of life, regardless of capitalism. The problem comes when you put material achievements before the more important spiritual areas of your life. All the money in the world can't make you happy, and it certainly can't buy you true love and friends.

When I first started full-time work a about five years ago, one of the things that struck me was that if I hadn't already been with Earthwhirler for a couple of years, I couldn't imagine how we'd have had the time to build a relationship properly if we'd both been working 9-5, 5 days a week. I really don't know how people do it. As it is, we were lucky coz we had a couple of years together where neither of us had any serious commitments, so by the time we started full-time work we'd already developed a close relationship and resolved any serious issues. As things stand now, we can simply enjoy our time together in our free hours. One thing's for certain though - if I had to choose between a job and a happy relationship, the job wouldn't get a second glance.

While I can see how work can limit your ability to live your life to the full, in other ways it can enhance it. I remember in the days before we started full-time work, me 'n' Earthwhirler would spend many days just being bored, because we had no money to go anywhere or do anything. Since the money's started rolling in, we've lived our lives to the full. I've seen more of Britain in the last few years than I've seen in the rest of my life before that. Working has enabled us to do many of the things we've wanted, and has thereby provided us with quality time that has enriched our relationship.

I think the problem comes with wanting money and success for the sake of money and success - when it becomes a goal in its own right, rather than a means of achieving the important things. The Bible is often misquoted as saying "Money is the root of all evil". However, the correct quote is "the love of money is the root of all evil". Much close to the truth, I think.

7. DoktorAtomik

Hey, don't look at me. I didn't write the bible! :p

8. DoktorAtomik

Close, but not quite the same. I think there can be something about money that dazzles people. I don't think it's always greed. People can see money as the solution to all their problems and the gateway to happiness. That's not the same as a greedy desire to accumulate more material goods and wealth.

9. Koolaid

Koolaid Member

Is a hard one..When I was 16 all I did want to do was sit in the park and just live man, I wanted to never get a job, have responsibilty and just make the most of every single day I lived.....But you know what Dok is right...It is totally about balance....I like my job and would not change it for anything in the world, I like doing it and helping people and I would get bored if I didn't do, but at the same time the time off I have rocks...

I think the Levellers said it best with "Doing nothing isn't fun, when you have nothing from which to run"....You need something you should be doing to make you appreciate more the time off you do have....Bsically as I have got older I have learnt that life is a lot about compromise and why that isn't necessarily great you know what...its ok :D Now I work as Dok said, I can afford to travel more, I can eat better (organic food is a lot more expensive) and I can give more.....

I think one side of your dreams can compliment the other...