Accommodation

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by littleskinny, May 26, 2004.

1. littleskinny

littleskinny Member

Hey I was wondering what kinda "habitats" you all have. Kinda weird question I know, but I'm living virtually rent free in London (soooooo lucky) and the thought of going back to renting really scares me! So I was wondering do you live with your folks, rent your own place, rent a place with other people, live in student digs, own your own place, have a mortgage...all that stuff.

Let's make this a rant about how unfair it is you can't afford a roof over your own head in this darn country!

2. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

i live in student digs at the mo! its great fun!

3. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

I rent a house with my wenchlette.

4. littleskinny

littleskinny Member

what kinda digs? Halls? When I was at uni I spent my first year in halls, which were ultra modern and divided into flats with 6 - 9 people in and you couldn't access anyone else's flat so it was kinda shitty. Then in the second year 5 of us rented a house together (some good times, more bad times) and in the third year I lived with my boyf.

5. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

i live in halls yeah, these are shoddy and old, but everyone is uber friendly so its great!

6. chickabean

chickabean Senior Member

i am currently renting a house in south london with two mates, its an ok house...my room is beautiful...but the rent is massive and the bills are very scary!! am proper skint so its not fun at all. im goin to university in september and will then spend my first year in halls of residence, which im looking forward to in a way coz il get to meet lots of people but on the other hand...i have tons and tons of treasure and i duno how its all gona fit in such a tiny room!! for my second year im looking into the possibility of leaving in a house used 24/7 as a homeless shelter. four payin tenants live there at a time alongside any homeless people that turn up...itll be kinda hard as it will be a bit like fulltime work...home wont be a place i can really escape to but i really feel called to work with homeless people and this sounds liek an amazing opportunity. so yeh, that should be interetesting!!! plus i love moving house, i have lived in six different house in the past three years, moved out at 16 to london from cornwall and since then have moved every few months...dont think il ever be happy to settle in one place :)

love luchi xxxx

7. littleskinny

littleskinny Member

where in south london are you chickabean?

8. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

That sounds like a really brave and cool thing to do. Hope it works out for ya. I admire the sacrifice you're prepared to make, coz I know I couldn't do the same - my personal space is too important to me.

9. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

I'm not living rent free, I'm still with the 'rents....

10. littleskinny

littleskinny Member

Wenchlette! I love that!

11. littleskinny

littleskinny Member

i am currently renting a house in south london with two mates, its an ok house...my room is beautiful...but the rent is massive and the bills are very scary!!

I know what you mean....before I moved where I am now I was brassic. It's taken me over a year to get over the debts I rang up in six months in the last place

The shelter set up you're describing sounds really interesting...is this common across London or just where you are?

12. chickabean

chickabean Senior Member

there are lots of sheleters in and around the london area although im not sure about any live in shelters...this is the first one ive heard about. but the one im hopin to live in is in leicester which is outside the london area. i was part of a homeless shelter project that ran over the winter months in croydon where non homeless people slept in the shelter along with the people from the street but that was just a temporary floating shelter which has unfortunately ended now...

13. littleskinny

littleskinny Member

oh ok I see. Still, very impressed with ya! So where you going to uni?

14. chickabean

chickabean Senior Member

im going to de montfort university in leicester to study fashion design with contour fashion which is basically bridal wear, corstery, performance wear and lingerie...cannot wait!! and my halls are situated right next to the grand union canal, its beautiful :)

15. rainbow dew

rainbow dew Member

right now im living in halls. tis self catering and i share with 3 other girlies. theres about 115 folk in the whole building and we all get on rather well. tis an old school building so is kinda cool but at the same time feels a bit hospital-like.

in two weeks in moving out and into this converted b&b which has 10 bedrooms!!! i only know 2 of the people living there as more will be moving in in september so it should be fun fun fun!! tis a lovely area though, for those that know edin its at the bottem of arturs seat...be you tif all!!
    namaste
    x x x

16. kier

kier I R Baboon

i live in an attic room in a very twee country cottage. it's a bit small for me now, there are few doorways that i don't have to duck under, but it is so pretty. i'll hopefully be moving into brand-spanking-new halls come september down in cornwall. there are 5-6 rooms for each house, with shared living area/kitchen. the rooms are en-suite would you believe!!! but are expensive....though the lease isn't as long as others. the uni is going to be so cool though, grass roofs, solar panels....weeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

17. chickabean

chickabean Senior Member

now now kier, i know its exciting but you could have waited until you reached the bathroom...fancy weeing all down your leg!;)

18. kier

kier I R Baboon

:eek: so close, and yet so far

19. chickabean

chickabean Senior Member

kier, please go and wash your leg..you smell of wee

20. kier

kier I R Baboon

no, the wee smells of me