absinthe

Discussion in 'Psychedelics' started by check., Feb 5, 2009.

1. check.

check. Senior Member

dont know if this is the right section but i just need some quick answers

apparently it's really expensive, so i'd want to know a bit about it before i blow all my money.

1. is it true that it's illegal in the US unless there is no wormwood (so no hallucinations) in it?
    2. if there is no wormwood or anything else of that nature in it, what makes it different from normal alcohol?
    3. if there is wormwood in it, how does a trip compare to like shrooms or lsd?

by the way, yes i have checked erowid. theres not really much on there about absinthe.

2. 36fuckin5

36fuckin5 Alchemycologist

You can get absinthe with thujone (the active in wormwood) in it, but it's a bullshit amount, and you'll get alcohol poisoning before you feel anything from the thujone. And it doesn't make you hallucinate anyway.

There is wormwood in it.

It doesn't. It's more like a little bit of amphetamine with a bunch of booze, but more euphoria.

3. check.

check. Senior Member

so is it worth spending $60 for a handle of legal absinthe?

4. salmon4me

salmon4me Senior Member

Depends on how much you value $60. To me it would be worth it. Why not? You'll get 'drunk', and likely have fun. To some $60 means more, or is harder to come by.

5. CherokeeMist

CherokeeMist Senior Member

if you are able, it might be a good idea to order some from europe... apparently the absinthe from europe is of higher quality than what they sell in the US, and it's legal to import (as far as i know, if you do plan on ordering you should double check just to be safe)

6. Trips509

Trips509 Member

These are not the correct amounts but just for an example. The amount of thujone in the absinthe you can buy in the US is like 1% or something really weak. The amount of thujone in the absinthe you can buy in Europe is like 30% or something. Like I said not the correct amounts but basicaly that $60 bottle is going to be weak. If you buy the good shit from Europe it's like $200 or something crazy like that. In my opinion not worth it.

7. Tisha Mc

Tisha Mc Banned

From what I've heard, absinth is illegal to sell, but not to buy or have. So you can order it online from another country and it's all good. But this may be a crazy rumour that I'm just gullible enough to believe. So don't take my word for it.

8. jaren420

jaren420 Member

ya ive been wanting to try absinthe too. there are different brands out with different amounts of thujone and alcohol. i was gonna buy the $80 bottle with the most thujone and 70% alcohol. dont know if its worth it though.

9. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

OK, I've got a stupid question - I am absolutely certain that there IS "wormwood" in the US, in fact several varieties of it...how hard would it be to make one's own absinthe, if you were so inclined...
    This is the time of the year to be shopping/looking through gardening catalogs and therefore, if you knew the exact correct type of wormwood...? :)

10. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

The brand you want to get is called Lucid, the bottle will be black with cat eyes,
    it is the only one in the USA that is made in the old world way, it has the exact make up of absinthe from the 1700's they have done tests.
    It is a myth that you will trip from it in any way though, You will get a very special kind of drunk though.

11. check.

check. Senior Member

well, if anyone cares, my friend ended up buying it but i didnt have to pay at all. me and my friend got incredibly drunk, it was by far the most drunk i have ever been in my life. it came on really suddenly too, like i remember taking a few shots of vodka and then starting on the absinthe and then it just gets super hazy. we both got incredibly fucked up and we were sick all night too. it was fun, a good experience, certainly nothing very different though, i mean, if anything was different i wouldnt know because i was so drunk.

this was last saturday though, and i was hungover until wednesday afternoon. soooo yeah, i mean, i guess it was worth it but i am NEVER drinking absinthe again. all my friends thought they were going to hallucinate though, and when i told them they wouldnt they didnt believe me. so my friend keeps telling me he saw some guy named Houston in his "mind room". which is probably a lie, i think he was just drunk.

12. jaren420

jaren420 Member

ya nothing in north america will make u hallucinate. but their are different kinds in holland and one kind u hallucinate off of. im deffinately gonna try it when i go to amsterdam.

13. *Autumn*Epona*

*Autumn*Epona* Hemptress

Has anyone ever heard that absinthe causes Bell's Palsy? MY boyfriend mentioned this to me the other day and I was not sure whether or not it was correct....

14. PsyGrunge

PsyGrunge Full Fractal Force

for a long time it was thought that thujone acts on cannabinoid receptors; but more solid research has shown that it's a GABA antagonist.
    i've had absinthe many times; typically with gold strike - imported from luxembourg.

15. 36fuckin5

36fuckin5 Alchemycologist

That is complete bullshit. I've tried Lucid and it sucks ass. I've also tried real absinthe that my friend made that was amazing. I can't finish more then 3 glasses of it.