? about psychodelic plants.

Discussion in 'Psychedelics' started by desert nightmare, Jun 2, 2006.

1. desert nightmare

desert nightmare Senior Member

This is something that i've always wondered. Why do psychodelic chemicals in plants make you trip, for what evolutionary reason? Is it to scare animals away from eating them? Yet we consume them intentionaly for fun, and pleasure. So I'm thinking maybe that since we injoy them so much, that we harvest them and keep them in existence. Perhaps both these reasons are why. It could have started as a defense mechanism for survival, and ended up being harvested and kept in existence.

Anyone else have any opinions?

2. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

maybe they come from outerspace.

3. jean_genie

jean_genie psychedelic saturday

mother nature has a sense of humor, psychedelics and platypuses ;P heh

4. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

SIGH KO DELIC YO

mckenna had a few theories

5. Archemetis

Archemetis Senior Member

i dont think it would be a defence thing...as all kinds of animals seek out mind altering plants. cats and catnip for one....and jaguars eat a hell of a lot of caapi.

6. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

think about how many plants there are. think about how each plant produces a range of unique chemicals. think about the chance that one of these chemicals is going to effect the human body. think about how many plants there are, and then how many of them we know to be psychoactive. its ridiculously minimal. all living things work on DNA, its logical probability that some products they produce will be chemically compatible with various proteins in the human body.

7. prismatism

prismatism loves you

plants that taste good and are good for us are that way so we'll eat them and shit out the seeds, which will grow more plants.

they satisfy our desires and we help them recreate

8. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

Think about making a point.

9. Cosmic Butterfly

Cosmic Butterfly Member

I personally think that plants are conscious beings and plants like peyote are gateways to help us evolve and stay connected to Pachamama.

10. yyyesiam2

yyyesiam2 Senior Member

yeah. i peronally believe there's something besides the physical/chemical attributes of these beings that get's us "high". this is mostly because of an experience with some of my mom's shrooms. they were highly potent, and she treated the whole situation as a spiritual one, not to be taken lightly. i took one of the dry caps out of the bag to take a closer look while she wasn't looking. when she turned back, she asked me very calmly to put it back in the bag and to not come in contact with it again until i was sure i was ready. i started laughing at how nervous she seemed about it all. my laughter seemed to gain momentum until i couldn't control it anymore. everything i could think of or perceive at that momentum seemed utterly absurd and extremely hilarious. my mom very gently grabbed my hands and helped me to place the cap back in the bag. she smiled and told me to go and take a look in the mirror. i did as she asked, and saw that for one, my face looked completely different in some way, and for another, my eyes were dilated to twice their normal size. about 15-20 minutes later, everything was back to normal, and we conversated over the importance of respecting these creatures over a bowl. my actual experience of taking these mushrooms has already been posted, so i won't waste you're time with that. now, if i'm not mistaken, dried caps shouldn't physically be able to affect you in that way from simply touching one for a few seconds. if someone has reasonable proof otherwise, you're welcome to provide it. anyways, this thread just happened to bring up that memory, so i thought i'd share it with ya'll. peace.