A Young Dream Seeker Going On the Road To a New Revolution

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by Slight Return, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Slight Return

Slight Return Member

[Deleted by user]

2. cookiecache

cookiecache Member

Why not do both? I think you should go camping with dad tagging along first - just so he knows you can take care of yourself, then after you get some driving experience, take the road trip. Besides, you could take the long camping trip with dad in the next year or so. You don't have to wait two years.

3. Slight Return

Slight Return Member

[Deleted by user]

4. wonka816

wonka816 Oh Davey

im waiting till im done with college to go on my big road trip. i already got my vw bus, just gotta finish fixing it up but i cant wait to go. im going pa to cali and back...its gonna be a blast.

5. Slight Return

Slight Return Member

[Deleted by user]

6. kimballthegreat

kimballthegreat Member

I'd say wait till schools out and have your fun during the summer. Then you have 2 or so months. Make sure you have enough money for gas and food. Learn a little about vehicles so you can perform basic maintenance and repairs. I'd suggest buying something like a van instead of a car. You can sleep inside (throw a mattress in the back) and cut down on motel stays or paying to camp at a KOA or something. With a van you can sleep in rest areas or in the middle of the forest or desert or wherever you chose to drive. Hopefully you have a good relationship with your dad. :)

7. tuatara

tuatara Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

i'd listen to kimballthegreat ..he has sage advice there in his or her post ..i cross canada twice a year by car ..it's great but be prepared for anything to happen on the road ..not good to take off with your eyes closed

8. KatieMarrie

KatieMarrie Member

You have a beautiful dream. Carpe Diem!

9. Slight Return

Slight Return Member

[Deleted by user]

10. Kanekoa76

Kanekoa76 Member

I love hip forums, because no one says "Oh, well your 14, what do you know?"
    Thats what everyone tells me where Im from.

I think that you have an excellent idea. Rootlessly spreading your art, seeing what there is to see, living on your own adgenda.

11. Slight Return

Slight Return Member

[Deleted by user]

12. Sprout420

Sprout420 Member

Never listen to those haters. People get scared as they grow older. build upon your dream now so you can be one of those who pursues their dreams and lives a truly beautiful life!

13. Slight Return

Slight Return Member

[Deleted by user]

14. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

I may not agree with your methodology but it isn't my place to tell you how to live. Now if you told me you were going to hike into Alaska with 20 pounds of rice and a .22... ;)

Actually I'm a little jealous. I had to wait until I was 20 and had washed out of university to take that trip. I would up in the military after but it was worth the next 13 years of my life.

15. sally250072

sally250072 Member

yea ur tight ive always wanted to just leave and take a big trip but no one ever wants to go with me

16. Slight Return

Slight Return Member

[Deleted by user]

17. Etherwind27

Etherwind27 Member

Living out in the wild is risky unless you know what you're doing. Read up on survival and outdoor skills, and learn what you can at your own pace one step at a time. Learn some skills with a knife too, the most dangerous animal you'll encounter on the road are humans. It's difficult to travel and carry a ton of band equipment as well. My plan, after I get out of college, is to buy a motorcycle and learn how to play mandolin or another lightweight acoustic stringed instrument. I could travel from town to town - playing for tips on street corners - I'll be like a modern day bard, haha.

18. sally250072

sally250072 Member

yea i would love to go with u but 3 to 4 years is a long time hahah

19. Slight Return

Slight Return Member

[Deleted by user]

20. Maitereya

Maitereya Member

Hmmm. deleted everything eh? Well I hope you are out here doing your thing. If not do it in the summer, get a feel for it. Do it this summer, dont wait 3-4 years. Ill be traveling west of the mississippi in spring/summer. Send me a message ill have some ideas for you.