A wrap I'm working on

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by nattywraps, Jan 13, 2005.

1. nattywraps

nattywraps Member

I'm doing a custom wrap for someone right now and I have recorded it's progress so far so that I could show him but I also thought it would be cool for me to show you guys too sinc eI know some of you dig the style of work.

This piece when done will have 2 red garnets, 1 piece of jade, 1 star ruby, 1 green rutilated quartz and 2 green tourmalines

Pic 1: Ok I've done most of the frame work, all of the bail and have mounted 1 stone (green rutilated quartz) thus far

[​IMG]

Pic 2: Ok here I've laid down some bridges to fill spaces and make it look nicer

[​IMG]

Pic 3: Here, I've added the tourmalines and the star ruby as well as some more bridges. this piece has 10 bridges so far!

[​IMG]

I will post more pics as it nears it's finish

2. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

Wow..that is stellar...I can't wait for more...

3. paix

paix Senior Member

amazing brother!

4. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

wow that's amazing. I don't quite understand how those are crafted.

5. paix

paix Senior Member

me either, and I wish I did, I really want to make on with some stones I was given this summer.

I wonder if there's a website somewhere with instructions?

6. nattywraps

nattywraps Member

I've only found a website with very masic instructions on how to do very simple work. it's at about.com

I was pretty much self taught with a little advice from someone on what gages of wire I should use and looking at pics of others. It seems like trial and error or hands on training is the only option open to people that I can find

7. paix

paix Senior Member

yeah, I taught myself most other wire work, it's best to learn yourself anyway.

where do you get your stones from natty?

8. MiniBix

MiniBix Member

Im really sorry if you sound stupid now, but where do you put that? or how do you use it?

9. nattywraps

nattywraps Member

paix, ebay mostly

mini, they are pendants you wear around your neck. if you click the wire wrap link in my sig you'll see some more pics of other wraps (one of which is strung on a hemp cord)

10. paix

paix Senior Member

ebay, what a good idea!

I've always just traded for stones, but you never know if you have something they'll want, or if you'll be able to find what you want, I never even thought of ebay,lol

11. plainjanepatchwork

plainjanepatchwork Member

It is beautiful Natty! Thanks for letting us see the birth of a righteous work of art. Make sure to let us see when it is completely finished.

12. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

They are beautiful. How long does it take to make one of those?

13. nattywraps

nattywraps Member

6-10 hours

14. redhotmama

redhotmama Member

Just wanted to say your wraps are *Amazing*~Beautiful work~

15. nattywraps

nattywraps Member

why thank you :)

16. nattywraps

nattywraps Member

The following pics are of the same stage of progress but I zoomed in on specific areas to shwo what has been done as it is mostly detail work

Pic 1: This is the whole wrap as is right now. All I have left to do is add a stone which the buyer is sending me in the mail.

[​IMG]

Pic 2: Here you see the detail I added by the bail of this pendant. Above the horizontal bridge a coil was added that wraps around the sides.

[​IMG]

Pic 3: Here you see the detail around the star ruby. I added micro coils which are made by wrapping 30 gage wire around 26 gage wire. then wrapping that around more 26 gage wire and then wrapping 30 gage wire in those cracks. Depending on the length coil I'm making, this can take up to half an hour per coil. I added one coil under the star ruby and one above it which is wrapped down to look kinda like 2 coils.

[​IMG]

I'll be sure to post more pics as it comes along. it's almost done!

17. Oh So strangE indeeD

Oh So strangE indeeD Member

Wow...all of your wraps are so intricately made. That's so cool.

18. peace_is_possible

peace_is_possible Member

wow natty, very cool, you are extreamly talented. those were seriously awsome, If I had the money I'd buy one, soooo cool dude.

19. paix

paix Senior Member

you are so incredibly talented brother

20. nattywraps

nattywraps Member

thanks for the comments guys. when I first started this I did not think I would like it half as much as i do now. it has such great detail. I cannot wait to finish and show you guys