A Universal Language

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by SLammon420, Aug 19, 2005.

1. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

Ok. So I was thinking, every child is born already knowing how to laugh, it's just a natural thing you don't have to be taught. And, no matter what language a person speaks or how their accent sounds, their laughter sounds similiar...it's always just haha...we're just born assuming laughter shoul sound like...hahaha...isn't that a little freaky to think about. I mean, laughter could be just some random word...like for instance, we could walk around and when someone told a joke, we could just say laught out loud like we do online...but our laughter naturally just comes out as haha...wierd.

2. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Well, not born with it, it takes a few weeks. But still, we all laugh the same, which is why humor is a great unifier. Of course, our understanding of humor may differ.

The beauty of laughter is that it's spontaneous and honest. Real laughter is, anyways. You can learn to fake it well, but it's not real. When you're laughing, that's a real reaction to something. So much of our experience seems so superficial, shallow and fake, but this is one of the real things that can bring us back to good. I like the image of the Laughing Buddha, an enlightened being lost in the hilarity of the moment. Beautiful :D

3. Colours

Colours Senior Member

i suppose its same as every other aspect of human experience, like sadness/crying

4. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

a bird has a song , so does human . the birdsong has meaning , so a bird is born with language . we are ku , honored by all the animals for our skill with language and symbols . humans also are born with language and meaning . along with the laughter and the smiles our babies babble words . one word i hear is the simple a (as in fat) . "a" , to spit it out , to reject . so the short .a means bad , or in a softer context it means opposite .

.a , we seem to wish to be universally un-human .

we have a completely expressive universal language .

5. Colours

Colours Senior Member

interesting =)

6. thumontico

thumontico Member

No one is born with language. Babies' babble is an attempt to imiatate people that are talking around them, same with birds and other animals. What is natural are the possible sounds made with our respective vocal cords. A baby may express his discontent by verbablising "a" not because he has a conscious association with discontent and the sybolism there of, but because he realizes that you respond to the sound in a similar way each time.

There is a whole branch of psychology dedicated this stuff, you guys should look into it.

7. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

everone cries and laughs. cats purr when very content, or in a lot of pain. dogs moan and whimper when theyre sad and wag their tales when theyre excited, in fact dogs learn to smile from humans.

laughing is not a word, its an expression. its not linked in with language at all, youd notice that when laughing or crying, its hard to talk peroperly or express with teh right words, because expressions transend language. laugher spreads. if everyone aroudn you atsrts laughing and its obviously not about you but just about anything, the laughter will probably make you smile. if people start crying, often this can make females, or less secure males start crying along with them.

when children see crying, they often instincively cry, as with laughter.

both crying and laughter cause the face to contort, tears to run, face to go red, and loud noises to come out of the person.

they also impose themselves on other people, in teh right contexts.

if you can make someone laugh, then you will gain a level of respect and status, whether conscious or unconscious. if you make them cry, you also exert status. theres a thin line between crying and laughter. notice how its almost always possible to make someone crying suddenly turn to laughter?

I think children learn to smile and laugh in teh style that the people who bring them up do.

both are instinctively wired into us. psychopaths however do not have this instinct in the same manner, and so if people aroudn them cry, it does not inspire sadness, as with laughter.

you can tell when someone is faking a smile often because one side of the smile is more exentuated than the other, generally the left side.

8. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

oh and you might notice that laughter isnt 'hahaha', thats just teh sound your voice happens to make when a generic sound is made. there is no articulation to 'hahaha'. it is just an turning on and off basically of your voice box. notice its more like your going 'Ah' 'Ah' AAh' but its organic so it coms out 'hah-hah-hah' with uwards inflection, and crying is the same but with a downward inflection 'her her her er'

9. Colours

Colours Senior Member

that "ah" and "her" stuff blows my mind

10. nitemarehippygirl

nitemarehippygirl Senior Member

i always thought that laughing is one of the strangest things we humans do. seriously, next time you see a person laughing, just watch them from an outsider's perspective. if non-laughing aliens came to the earth and saw us all going "AHHH!!HAAAAHAHAHA...ahhhh... HEH HEH HEH!huhhuh!!!HAHH!" etc, i'm sure they'd think we were all in some kind of terrible pain, or completely demented.

--
    anyway, is laughter natural or socially induced? i mean, if there's a tarzan kid born alone in the jungle with the beetles, and he sees a bear trip over a log and do a rather ungraceful trip-roll, would he laugh or just watch blankly? is something like that even funny?

11. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

humour like that is not necessarily the source of laughter.

its more like a status related thing. i talked about this for ages last night but unless your really interested its too much to go into

12. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

Have you ever had that experience where you talk to someone even though linguistically you have no cross-overs.

Yesterday I read an article - the writer was in prague and saw a homeless person who had just drawn a beautiful picture. He bought the picture off him and the tramp insisted he paint a picture of the writer's wife. Once he was done, the writer comments on the fact that he is wearing no gloves even though it is minus 5 celcius. The artists explains he can hold a pencil better that way.

Anyway they chat for about 5 minutes and suddenly the writer notices that he speaks no Czech and that the artist speaks no Portrugese.

I read that and thought recognised it.

I speak no French, and I met a girl in France who speaks no English, anyway, we got on a treat and she and her friends invited me to the arcade that evening.

Blessings

Sebbi

13. nitemarehippygirl

wow, that's interesting sebbi. i don't understand, though. in what language did the french girl speak to invite to to the arcade? and in what language were the czech and portugese men speaking? i mean, ...the sounds coming out of their mouths must have been something understandable. ???

14. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

I was born in the jungle with the beetles (John, George and Paul were Ok but Ringo was kind of moody) and I think laughters just something were born with.

Hey Sebbi I know what you mean; my boss is filapino and sometimes when he and his nephew are talking I can tell what they're talking about. Don't know how, maybe it's body langauge.
    In fact sometimes I can tell what they're saying better than I can follow some of the english speaking employees
    ( probably because most of them are usually stoned out of their minds).

15. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

Who said anything about sounds coming out of mouths.

It's mostly body language, facial expressions etc.

I consider myself to have cheated though - we speak the language of Poisters (google Poi spinning paralell time) - you see there are very few poisters compared to, say, Diablo spinners.

Well, that's how we developed a remote understanding, from there on it was flirting, which apparently, is genetic.

Blessings

Sebbi

16. nitemarehippygirl

Gotcha. I misunderstood the point you were getting at; thought you literally meant a mysterious universal spoken language manifesting.
    hahaha..... in that case, the italians must have hella stronger genes than the rest of the world. seriously, go to rome as a single white gal and you'll know what i mean.

17. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

^ that's cultural, i hear its like that in spain too, and most of central and south america. Might be a southern european thing...

18. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

i seem to have missed something. how do you communicate with someone without realising that you are not talking? surely it would seem a phenomenom in the middle of the communication?

im not saying i dont believe its true, i think its very believable to communicate with someone who doesnt spek your language, i just dont understand the process you are talking about

19. nitemarehippygirl

haha, yeah... i just wanted to poke fun at our hot blooded italian friends. :p it is the same in spain.
    Bill, I think he's only referring to a kind of 'universal body language', facial expressions and hand gestures etc. i also didn't get it... i thought he meant a literal mystery language but i think it's more simple than that.
    i assume that when the czech & portugese guy were 'talking' they were mostly gesturing and speaking in body language, not via words.

what is that? i googled it and found some info but i don't know how it relates?? poi spinning is a kind of juggling/baton spinning, like what fire spinners do. and parallel time....???
    "Poi-Spinning begins by treating forward and backward spins as equally important. Within five pages you are introduced to carries and turns, wall and side planes, split and parallel time, and rewinds. The emphasis on these as the essential basic moves takes the two-dimensional club-swinging model and transforms it into a three-dimensional art that is seen from all sides and performed "in the round." It's like moving from the flat depictions on Egyptian tombs to Saturday morning TV anime - both are cartoons, but one is dynamic and the other static, and only one of them can dance." http://www.poispinning.com/magazine.htm

20. Colours

Colours Senior Member

ofcourse, its the language of love :) . thats not so out ofthe ordinary.