A street and 1/2, does any other city have these?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by AceK, Jun 14, 2013.

1. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

Here, there are streets such as 19 1/2 st., 21 1/2 st., 22 1/2 st. ...does any other city have streets like that? The alley behind 19 1/2 st. is "graffity alley", because the graffiti changes daily, and if you walk thru there there will usually be someone tagging, and you can smell the spray paint...everything is covered, all the walls, the floor, the dumpsters, even the telephone pole back there.
    The macy's on...34th st. in Manhattan I think...has a 1 1/2 floor on the elevator, that's weird too.
    How do you have half a floor, or half a street?

2. skitzo child

skitzo child PEACEFUL LIBRA

Philly does yes

3. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

We don't have numbered streets, all of our streets have proper names.

4. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

the train station has Platform 9 3/4

5. AceK

Many of the streets here have proper names as well....and the lower numbered streets are in a totally different location than the higher numbered ones, seperated with streets with "proper names".

I find "properly numbered" streets and avenues with a clear system for addressing buildings to be the least confusing, and easiest to navigate in a city that has many streets. Increasing street numbers from north to south and increasing avenues in the west-east direction...you'd have to be retarded to get lost. I find Manhattan the most user friendly, easy to navigate...only thing they could do better is to consistently put on the signs which block is on one side of the street (62nd St. 500-600) so there's no doubt about which way is say, 8th Ave. and which way is 7th since the blocks are so long in the east-west direction.

6. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I guess numbers could be easier when a city is build in even blocks, but the cities here are too irregular.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

The Hogwarts express?

8. AceK

I know much of the worlds cities are older than America, and have an "organic" street layout. I can't even imagine trying to navigate somewhere like Honk Kong.

"Downtown" is also an American term I believe, and when it started referred to the older part of a city in the down direction on a map (Manhattan). These days it doesn't mean much, the central business district maybe.

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

In my town downtown refers to the older part of the city even though it is the northern part of town

10. AceK

Most of the time here, when someone refers to "Uptown" they are referring to the Northwest direction, or the northwest direction on the train.

11. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

All Aboard!

12. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

My town doesn't have numbered street names. The street behind us has the maiden name of the bitch who lives behind us "in memory" of her dumbass brother who died drinking and driving. I don't think it's in memory of shit, I think it's to make her feel important cuz she's a bitch. Man, I hate those people. lol