A short history of nearly everything

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction Books' started by AfricaUnite, Jul 7, 2006.

1. AfricaUnite

AfricaUnite Member

by Bill Bryson

Anyone read it?

Ive read it twice and ended up buying it it was so good. It has a TON of information in a couple hundred pages, well written and easy for the layperson to understand. If you want to get a brief history lesson on our planet in 500 or so pages this books worth a gander.

The most interesting thing I learned in it was, that if my parents were to have sex, even a fraction of a second earlier or later than they did, the prevailing conciousness that is AfricaUnite would not be here writing this post. Furthermore, our existance is due in part to our ancestors mating at the exact time and place they did. Freaky.

2. rockon19

rockon19 Member

Makes you wonder if everything does indeed happen for a reason or if everything is just chaos.

3. AfricaUnite

AfricaUnite Member

Im pretty sure its all chaos and we just won the chaos lottery and get to witness it.

4. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

I've read parts of this. Yes, it's well written and some extremely complex concepts are put into leymans terms and explained in a way that makes you go "ooohhhh right, I always wondered about that".
    Great book.