A rant about a new pet renting business in my community:

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by johnnystillcantread, Apr 30, 2007.

1. johnnystillcantread

johnnystillcantread Member

Hello! This morning I heard an ad on the radio about a new business that rents pets for a day or for a year. As far as the renting out a dog or cat for a year goes - I think it should be against the law because it’s mental crudity to an animal. People will probably start looking at pets like they are cars and start trading them in every time the pet gets a little old and raggedy looking. Also what will happen to all the old pets that nobody wants to rent - half price sale maybe. I have mixed feelings about renting a pet for a day. There have been times in my life that I wasn’t in a position to keep a dog and would of loved to have a dog even if it was only for a day. But I don’t think I could of just rented a dog for a day and then not want to keep it. What I would do was go visit people who had dogs until I could get my own. And maybe that would be a better thing for people to do – go out to and meet some pets in the community until they can get one they can enjoy for a long time. On the other hand - in my community there is a free service for people who can’t get out of the house and this service will go to these people with their dog or cat and sit and chat for awhile and I think there cool. Cheers!

2. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

I totally agree with you.
    We've had our pup for eight months now, and there's no way I could part with him; and I couldn't imagine how he would feel being taken away from the only home he's known.
    For animals to spend their whole life without a stable home & family seems like they're being set up for a serious attachment issues, which wouldn't exactly work in their favour, so yes as you say what happens when no one wants them anymore?

They have similiar services here where companion animals visit people who aren't mobile or whatever. My grandmother is housebound and I like she looks forward to seeing our pup more than us. The animals probably like getting attention too. So that's a good thing.

3. Maybelle

Maybelle NeoHipALicious

What is the purpose of renting a pet? Do they have a particular clientel? I'm just curious because I have never heard of such a thing.

Pretty disturbing, what's next "Rent-A-Child"?

....disturbing

4. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

yeah thats fucked and totaly not considerate of the poor animals peace of mind.

5. legend 1967

legend 1967 Member

I suspect that a rent a pet business may prove not to be very profitable.

6. johnnystillcantread

I not sure what their cliental is. We are going to make note of their phone # the next time we hear the ad. Then I am going to phone them and pretend that I want to rent a big dog and I will tell them that I want one that I can leave in the house all day well I am at work – if they are cool with that I might do some protesting. Cheers!

7. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

I didn't believe you could rent a dog until I googled it. That's pretty screwed up. I can see for a day for local shelter dogs, but how could anybody just do away with a pet after a year? I understand certain cirsumstances arise, such as no pet rules in apartment building etc, but you should keep such things in mind before you get a pet. Having pets is a commitment not a lease.

8. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Blaubeerkuchen!! Lifetime Supporter

Here, you can go to animal shelters and take dogs out for a walk. I think, that's ok, cuz you're helping out with the work there. But renting is screwed up. In shelters, people are looking for getting a permanent home for the animals, and they do a lot of background checking before giving animals away. But the renting as you described it, would mean that the animals are changing homes frequently. This can't be good. Doggies need their permanent family.

So if people chose to have a dog for a day, they should go to shelters and help out. These people are usually glad for every help they can get.

9. loveyouto

loveyouto Member

I totally agree with Kastenfrosch. In my area I volunteer to walk dogs at the shelter (which is no kill - kickass!). The shelter needs all the help they can get. You get to spend time with some nice animals and help give them some much deserved love and exercise! This also helps them get used to human contact which will ultimately be beneficial for their manners and help their chances for adoption.

Rent a pet is just disturbing... How can a business like that even exist? Should be against the law and definitely is morally against my law.

10. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

As long as they have the option to own at the end of the rental period I don't really see it as a bad thing.
    I mean, good owners will opt to keep the dog and bad owners that STILL aren't attached to their pet will opt out which is probably better for the animal than staying with a disinterested owner, getting dropped at the pound or abandoned.

Screwed up solutions for a screwed up population.

11. johnnystillcantread

Sadly that makes a lot of sense. Cheers!

12. Alaskan

Alaskan Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I googled it also..Wow. Pretty wide spread.
    I can see it now, a family rents a dog for a day at the beach. On the way home you tell your kids " got to stop at the agency to drop Prince off, who wants hamburgers ?"
    Don't know any kids who would go for that one.
    I think the groups who take pets to nursing homes for the residents to spend time with is a great idea.
    Saw a TV story on the news, from Seattle. They spotlighted a doggy day care business. Geez, they charged more than people pay for day care or pre-school for their kids......

13. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

lol... I've never heard of renting a pet.. but a hotel about 30 miles from where i live is famous for having room cats.. meaning you can have a cat brought to your room if you please while you spend the night or a couple days.. i worked there for a couple days and they kept the cats in good shape and in a nice enviroment