A question for those with a greater knowledge of growing than I

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing' started by spooons, Aug 3, 2004.

1. spooons

spooons Member

hey guiys hows it goin,hope you are all keeping well,thanx for the great advice on the yellowing on my leaves,they have certainly picked up again.Now for another question,i have another plant growing with no idea what it is but as you can tell from the pic it is quite tall and skinny much more than my others,i got given the seed by a freind so i thought id give it a go,so i was wondering,if i was to chop the top 6" off would it premote more growth lower down and would i also be able to use this pruning for a cutting?Also here is a close up of what i thought may be a herm but am not sure as it could just be the start of flowering(which is odd as it has been under 24 hour lighting).thankyou for taking the time to read this and any advice would be much appreciated.

2. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

That is a male it is taller so the pollen will fall on the female buds. Pull it if you want sinsemillia. Or usually the males get taller, but that "hermie" pic is definite male.

They grow faster and will bud regardless of light hours. Males show sign according to age in most cases. Some will trigger when put to 12/12 but most will trigger at a certain age, 2-6 months depending on strain usually about the third month though.

those are definitely male stamens though.
    Nice pic.

3. spooons

spooons Member

check this out tie,and see if you think its still male,these pics are off the same plant,i thought it looked like hairs ,but if your sure its male not herm then i will destroy him ,if its herm i will let it germ itself becuase i heard somewhere that if a herm germinates itself the seeds are virtually always fem is this also true?Thanx for asnwerin tiedye youve been a great source of info

4. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

Ok yeah that definetly looks hermie, but no that's not true- not in that way.

You will create seeds with hermie tendacys. If you use what we call a " random hermie" which is a predominate pistillate female creating a random stamen here or there. Use this pollen to dust a regular female, you will get all females without all those hermie traits.

On the other hand if you let that hermie pollenate another female, you will get females and hermies , pollenate itself, you'll get females, hermies and possibly backwards hermies, and maybe even males.

if you use a backwards hermie for pollenating (male with a couple-few hairs) The ratio of male/female should be around 30/70
    70 percent female- 70-90% even.
    But this crossing will create no hermies. 70-90 % females without hermie tendacys.

so no don't pull it , get it out away from them, unless you want them all to go to seed.
    Personally id rather pull a hermie than a male, the smoke is better. But id rather watch out for males when sexing- hermies are painstakingly time consuming to watch for, and hard to spot.

if it were me in your position, i would seperate the hermie and give it a sunny window in another part of the house, try collecting the pollen in a jar. I would use that pollen for making seeds on the desired non hermie female, selectively pollenate a lower branch. collect and properly mark the seed container (im using sno seals this year) Also you will get seeds from the hermie pollenating itself- use these seeds to try and find a male- with female hairs on it.

use this male to backcross your other seeds you make, use them on a female- not a hermie. you will get a stable strain with higher femm ratio and no hermies.

5. spooons

spooons Member

well i just had to chop 2 of my four big ones becuase they were male,so now all my hopes lie with the other 2,also now i need to throw out my little cuttins(which havent taken properly anyway) becuase i cant remember which plant i got them from.so now for a few more questions.1 what is the best way to take a cutting and what is the best way to start them off?should i put them straight in to 24 hour or let them take in a propegator on the window sill first? 2 one of my plants is well over a metre tall and is like 5" away from the light, i have the light as high as it can go and am wondering if there is anything i can do or should i just let it take its own coarse? the thing i am worried about most is the fact that i could lose the main top bud dude to burn.thnx for taking the time to read this and any replies would be much aprecaited

6. TheMagicalMushy

TheMagicalMushy Senior Member

I know you can force the plants to flower, I dont know how exactly I just thought id tell you its possible. Check out www.overgrow.com