A little freaked out...

Discussion in 'All in the Family' started by feralfey, Apr 6, 2007.

  1. feralfey

    feralfey Member

    This is the best forum to post this on that I found I think.

    MY HUSBAND ALMOST SET THE HOUSE ON FIRE!!!! He was cooking. The normal amount of smoke was there for when we are frying things. He went to the bathroom (why he did this when he was frying something on our notoriously cantankarous stove, in particular while he was cooking in the oven part at the same time, I WILL NEVER KNOW. When he came back out, there was a copius amount of smoke. He has asthma and we have two cats. Also we live in an apartment building with neighbors below us. I was in the bedroom. When he started coughing I asked if he was okay. At first he said yes. Then he started coughing much worse. I opened the bedroom door, saw the smoke and closed it immediately. We got the oven and stove off, the cats in the bedroom, the windows opened and us outside. The smoke has dissipated as much as it's going to in such a short period of time. We are all okay, there is no fire, and the fire department did not come. THANK GOD EVERYTHING IS OKAY NOW! Thanks for putting up with me posting this. I don't know if this forum fits perfectly for this post, but the only other forum I saw that was even slightly applicable was the whiners forum, and I was/am more scared than anything else.
     
  2. drumminmama

    drumminmama Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

    breathe, now that the smoke has dissipated.
    and NEVER leave a stove unattended, esp a cantankerous one, when frying.
    always have it in sight line.

    a small fire happens to a lot of people.
    I keep two boxes of baking soda by the stove and I have a couple more in a different, farther, spot as fire extinguishers.
     
  3. feralfey

    feralfey Member

    Thanks drumminmama. Baking soda is a really good idea. It never occured to me. Normally he wouldn't leave it unattended and he's a good cook, so I didn't even think to go out there. I'll definately keep an eye out in the future, and he said he won't do that again, he realizes it wasn't the brightest idea.
     
  4. sweetersappe

    sweetersappe Member

    That's why I don't let my husband cook very often. ;) After he set our yard on fire and burned up most of our trees, I just don't like him to play with fire. The fire department probably agrees with me.
    I'm glad you and your home are safe. Fires are so scary.
     
  5. feralfey

    feralfey Member

    lol. I agree. They really are scary. Thanks sweetersappe.
     
  6. torz

    torz Member

    i'm glad your all ok & safe.

    when i was 14 or 15 my mum & dad used to leave us home alone (in the uk you can be left from 13 or 14), untill they came home from work at just after 10pm. it was their aniversary & me & my bro decided to cook them dinner. i had seen delia smith cook these deep fried mushrooms in a pan of oil & tryed to have ago myself.

    well the pan of oil set on fire & i didnt know what to do so i chucked a cup of cold water on it. well this rawring flame came out of knowhere. luckerly my mum & dads cooker is situated in a big fireplace with a huge chimeny above so the flames went up rather than out otherwise me & my bro would have been burned pritty bad. the next door neighbour saw what happened & came & put a damp teatowel over it to put it out.

    i've never deared have deep fried anything after that.

    i learnt two lessons,

    1, never ever ever put water on oil.

    2, leave the fancy cooking to people who know what their doing.

    i'm ok cooking now tho, aslong as it dosent involve a large amount of oil in pans.
     
  7. feralfey

    feralfey Member

    Lol. Thanks torz.
     

Share This Page


  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice