A-dam - Denmark

Discussion in 'Amsterdam' started by not-alone, Mar 20, 2011.

1. not-alone

not-alone Guest

Hi guys,

anyone had experience with taking some stuff from A-dam to Denmark by a car?

No borders. So I am thinking.. putting it in a safe place, and..

Thanks for an answers ;)

2. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

They have checkpoints on the borders, but they don't stop many people as they don't have the time or resources. They randomly stop traffic on the German-Dutch border, but the 20 or so times I have crossed I have only been stopped once. I was in mini-bus on the way to Holland, they just took our passports and checked them, and that was it. If you hide it well and there are no sniffer dogs chances are you'll be fine, but you have to understand there is always a small risk. For small amounts you'd probably get away with having it confiscated and a fine.

3. not-alone

not-alone Guest

Hi McLeodGanja - I am thinking about 5-10g, do you consider that as a small amount?

Most likely going with a smart car.

4. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

Well bear in mind that technically you can be arrested in Holland for >10g, fined 1000EU and sent to prison for 1 month. I was once arrested with 10g (±2?) on me. They just confiscated it, but they fined my 270EU for calling them a bunch of nazis. They did a great job that day convincing me I was wrong.

I'd say 5-10g is not a huge amount, I don't really know what they would do though as I have never been to Denmark.

5. not-alone

not-alone Guest

And how did you got arrested? Was your behavior somehow disturbing?

I look like a casual guy, non-smoker. I don't drink so my face looks like infants butt, I am not looking like a stoner, also am calm and never into conflicts, trying to avoid all bad places.

6. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

Yes. I was slightly upset because the station master wouldn't let me board the last train home, even though I hadn't time to buy a ticket and had a broken foot(first day of freedom from crutches, I was wearing a special shoe). I called them all the names under the sun, and then when the police who were there didn't want to offer any help or even sympathy I called them a bunch of nazis. There response to that was to then act like a bunch of nazis by arresting me, taking me down the station and roughing me up to the point where I was nearly in fear of my life. The moral of the story there is when someone acts like a **** and they are the police, don't call them a bunch of nazis. Chances are they might be a bunch of nazis.

7. not-alone

not-alone Guest

McLeodGanja - please tell me about parking in Amsterdam. Is it dangerous? What should I consider? Where is the right place to park the car? How much approx. the costs are?

I've been looking through the Internet and found that it's quite dangerous to leave car unattended, so I am asking for an advice..

I also found this:
    http://www.amsterdam.info/parking/warning/

Is this just a stupid thing to do or that's the way? (out of logic, car with such sign would attract more attention)

Thanks!

And perhaps, any cheap hostel advice? Couldn't find any info. It is not that I am poor I just don't like to spend money and I am not quality sensitive at all.

8. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

I don't know, i think there is more chance of getting your bike nicked in a-dam. Parking a car for a few nights, I think you'll be fine, just don't leave any valuables in it.

9. arthur itis

arthur itis Senior Member

My son spent some time in Europe a couple summers ago, going from Bulgaria to Greece, to Istanbul, to Italy, to Germany, to France, Amsterdam, and Spain before returning to the states. He said that in the south of Italy they got to a hostel to spend the night and noticed bedbugs on the wall. They left and went to another one and the bedbugs were even bigger. They ended up sleeping on a wall next to some big cathedral. They say that southern Europe especially has a problem with bugs, and it was also summer.

But just be aware, if you stay in hostels, these critters are vagabond hitchhikers, and could have been carried in from the last traveler to stay there. Once they get in your luggage or clothing,,it's very difficult to get rid of them.

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Actually, a nephew of mine from Brasil went with my car from the Netherlands to Denmark and he got pulled over for drugs searches three times. 2 in Germany and the third time in Denmark. He didn't had anything on him but when he mentioned the second time he could use this stop for going to the bathroom they wanted to check his anus.
    I went many times with pot to german festivals and never got pulled over happily. But I hear of lots of other people that I was just lucky all the time.

11. not-alone

not-alone Guest

Thanks Arthur for an advice.

Asmodean - that's interesting. When did this happen? (nephew story)

What's the best way to hide the stash? I heard about the shampoo bottles, condom, what else?

12. Asmodean

About 2 years ago, I don't think much has changed. I have the feeling if you have a dutch licence plate there's more chance they gonna do a check but like I said I've always rode clear through Germany. I guess it's up to you. It's always worth it if you take something with you to use a trick like the shampoo bottle or hide it in coffee or peanutbutter. I also heard that if they have a dog (quite common) they may find it. But I just don't know for sure since they just don't pull me over :D

13. not-alone

not-alone Guest

I see..

Well, as many people, as many stories. I heard sometimes during night there are raids, when the roads are almost blocked, and they check every single car.. with dogs and stuff.

14. Asmodean

In Germany? Ah well they probably do that some times but the chance you run into it is not large.

15. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

If you have someone traveling with you you can drive across and they or you can walk across through the countryside. Any sign of the cops, just drop your stash.

16. not-alone

not-alone Guest

That's an good idea, all though if it happens on motorvej, then it's not an solution.. :D
    Regardless dropping the stash, let's say the cops didn't see you dropping it, but they find it near you, what to tell them then? Simply 'NOT MINE' is enough or there are special answers?
    You see, I smoke for many years but I never get into such situations, I always keep myself off trouble, but this time it's just risk, so I have to measure everything and be sure that I do everything in my power :)

Really helpful, thanks!

Ok, so I think cheap hostel is an bad idea then.. Any advice on decent accommodation in Amsterdam or just outside it?

17. Asmodean

Since I lived in the Netherlands for all my life I'm not used to such situations either, but since I'm not used to look for a dealer to get some pot I do take it with me if I cross the border for fun time.
    By the way, I mostly go to youth hostels when travelling through Europe. Not the cheapest perhaps but also certainly not the most expensive.

18. not-alone

not-alone Guest

Well, I won't be buying from a dealer, but from a coffeeshop, it's just matter of transportation that worries me the most..

19. Asmodean

Well just don't forget once you're out of Germany that they do check in Denmark as well :p

20. not-alone

not-alone Guest

Yeah, just hopefully not :->