A cool place to hang out

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Renovatu, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Renovatu

Renovatu Member

I've been thinking about opening up a place where young people (18-20 something) could come in have a drink and meet other young people. There would be a snack bar with beverages and food but also board games, game tables, video games and of course, music. And maybe two or three times a month there would be a live band or a comedian or a magician. I'm not exactly sure what kind of place this would be. I guess it's a mixture of a café and an arcade?

I want this to be a place where young people can come in, relax and form healthy relationships with people of the same age. Does this sound like a cool place to hang out? Any suggestions would be welcome.

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Sounds kind of lame. You mean no booze/drugs?

3. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

strippers too

4. acuarela

acuarela Member

A friend of mine was on vacation with her family, while her boyfriend had to go this bachelor party in New Orleans. They were partying it up and he was fucked up on coke and he accidentally called her super early this morning and left her a voicemail while he talked to his friends about sleeping with a stripper and how he now needed to come up with a story about how he lost so much money.

The worst is he's trying to deny it, even after she told him that he left her a voicemail saying this.

5. Pressed_Rat

Ouch! Busted.

6. Renovatu

Renovatu Member

Getting drunk/high is not everyone's idea of fun.

7. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

So what happened then? Are they still together?

8. acuarela

acuarela Member

This just happened this morning, she's still in Cape Cod. He's still in New Orleans. I think she told him she's taking the cat and he can keep the apartment. I told her she could crash here for a few days if she needed to.

9. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Drugs are bad mmmkay

10. Pressed_Rat

I was being facetious.

11. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Ah okay.
    I'd totally break up with a guy if he did that.

12. Renovatu

Renovatu Member

Oh. Well I guess that sort of thing is hard to pick up just by reading an online post. And I don't know you so yeah...

13. Arlandis

Arlandis Visitor

facetious or not I agree with rat. sounds lame. and young people that don't like to get wasted sound fucking boring.

14. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

This sounds like a great idea. Do you have the money to invest in this type of place? to rent a place? I've dreamed of opening up my own funky cafe/coffee house that would host open mic nights.

15. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

ok, but strippers???

16. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

ok, just kidding. Your idea sounds really thoughtful and positive.

Are you imaging this as a positive for-profit venture, or a non-profit? How will you keep it going?

17. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

with booze: you want to open a good bar, it sounds like, go for it.

without booze: you want to open a youth centre, it sounds like, go for it.

18. Renovatu

Renovatu Member

I only have around $3,000 in the bank right now so I'm gonna guess....no? This might be one of those 'someday' dreams rather than the 'right now' dreams.

19. Renovatu

Renovatu Member

I was thinking of it as a for-profit business but I don't think any money generated from food purchased from the snack bar would be enough to keep the place running. I'll have to do some research and see if it might be more practical to run it as a non-profit.

20. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Very good idea.
    When I was a teen we had a few teen night clubs that started up in, oh, 1965 or so.

The Red Rooster was open on Saturday nights to those aged from 16 to 18 only, no one over 18. They carded you at the door.
    They had a huge dance floor and a soft drink/snack bar. The building was built just for this venue.
    Cover charge was one dollar to get in and they collected money so fast they'd just throw it on the floor behind the window and pick it up later. There were easily a thousand kids there every Saturday all year long, probably more.

They got really good bands in like Ike and Tina Turner, all the Motown groups, Simon and Garfunkel, and I can't remember who else.
    They eventually raised the age to 20, then to an over 21 club as the baby boomers aged.

We also had the Teen Scene which dealt with local bands, Park and Pool which had night time swimming and battle of the local band contests and the short lived Barn and Summit pool.

Great times.