60's Hippie Pics - View & Add or Comment

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Ddoright, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Ddoright

Ddoright Senior Member

2. Ddoright

Ddoright Senior Member

Picture yourself in a boat on a river,
    With tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
    Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly,
    A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.

Cellophane flowers of yellow and green,
    Towering over your head.
    Look for the girl with the sun in her eyes,
    And she's gone.

[​IMG]

3. Ddoright

Ddoright Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Muddy Waters & BB King - How hip can you get?

:peace:

4. Ddoright

Ddoright Senior Member

5. veiled1

veiled1 Member

OH I love the LSD one !!!

6. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

ahahaha,this made me laugh.he looks so cute with the flower

7. Ddoright

Ddoright Senior Member

[​IMG]

Jim Morrison on tye die background.

8. Ddoright

Ddoright Senior Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Steppenwolf - "Magic Carpet Ride"

9. Buddha Fish

Buddha Fish wanderin' fish

OP: is there any description you can give for the first image? i really like it, i put it as my desktop background and wanted to know something about it
    thanks!

10. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Oh God, don't get me started... I've got Hippyland's 60s archives around here somewhere...

[​IMG]

Olympic Black Power Protest 1968

[​IMG]

Isla Vista, Santa Barbara, Bank of America Fire Bombed

[​IMG]

Vietnamese Buddhist Monk Self-Immolation to Protest Vietnam War

[​IMG]

The Human Be-In, Golden Gate Park, 1967 that kicked it all off!

11. Ddoright

Ddoright Senior Member

Sure - I'll get it to you tomorrow.:peace:

12. Ddoright

Ddoright Senior Member

13. Buddha Fish

Buddha Fish wanderin' fish

^ haha i did that search and thought this one was good, it made me laugh (at the soilders)

[​IMG]

oh, and that didn't tell me anything about the picture like i wanted. but it's cool, i don't expect you to be looking it up or anything for me just thought you might know.

14. Ddoright

Ddoright Senior Member

Sorry about not sending you any background. My mind wanders due to a mis-spent youth. I do know this occured during a peace rally at the Pentagon in October of '67. His name is Joel Tornabene. I think you could find out more about him online. - Dudley

15. Ddoright

Ddoright Senior Member

[​IMG]

Lennon & Ono - "Two Virgins"

16. dergkyz

dergkyz Member

love that one =D

17. Nirali

Nirali Member

Lenin? lol....still think that every communist at the beginning had to pumped all informations from hip ideology ;))

18. Gerald

Gerald Member

This is taken from "The First NZ Whole Earth Catalogue" 1972, published by Alister Taylor with help from someone called Tim Shadbolt, now Mayor of Invercargill (N.Z.). There was an extensive chapter on alternative living, with supplied material and supplied photographs drawn from a number of NZ communes. The later editions feature Moehau. The original caption reads "Cultivation of a soya crop on a Nelson commune". The name of the commune is not given, but is understood to be "Moonsilver", which has now closed down. "Moonsilver" also supplied a number of file photographs to "Mushroom" magazine (a counter-culture magazine of the time) for publicity purposes to illustrate community living. Nudity was a something not really optional at "Moonsilver" and was something the commune sought to encourage with its publicity. This is my favourite picture of the era. Gerald.:)

19. Ddoright

Ddoright Senior Member

:peace:Neat - thanks - I think I'll include that one in my album.

20. Gerald

Gerald Member

This is a montage of photographs taken of a event held at the 1978 Festival of Plenitude : a mock battle between Alf's Imperial Army and a force drawn from those attending the 1978 Festival. Alf's Imperial Army were a group of young people around the self-styled Wizard of Christchurch (N.Z.) who espoused conservative causes. One of their activities was to challenge different groups to mock battles. The photograph was first published in "Mushroom", May 1978 and illustrated an account of the festival. The battle was held on the last day, 24 January 1978. The article in "Mushroom" was put together by the organisers both as a report and to publicise any future Festivals.The event and the several other Festivals that followed were organised by those in living in alternative communal arrangements, or "communes" around Punakaiki : the nearest settlement of this type was at Fox River. The purpose of the festival was to popularise the ideas of peace, environmental sustainability and community with the young people of Christchurch and the South Island generally who had turned up in their droves. Nambassa was more of a North island affair and was held at the same time. The "Hippie" force fought naked and covered themselves in dried white mud, numbering around 15, making a a political point concerning the relationship of humankind with nature. Moving clockwise : the leaders of the "Hippie" contingent : a member of the crowd : ALF's Imperial Army dressed as British Redcoats : another member of the crowd : the fight itself involving flour and waterbombs : the drummer. The Festival attracted several thousand. The fight was apparently chaotic and involved a cannon. There were a number of injuries, so this event was discontinued. An examination of the first photograph shows the "Hippie" commander (on the right) wearing a cricket box like structure over his groin though which his penis is passed. This is a representation of the snake creation myth and required an erection. The image of the two "leaders" was taken moments after the "Hippie force" had reached the battle site after emerging from the bush. Gerald.